Who is Olga?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who is Olga?

Post by Wileama on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 11:37

Okay so I was tossing back, and forth with Piero recently over PM. Olga came up, and the more I thought about her, the more questions I started to ask myself. Most of the other support personnel you seem like they have relatively clear cut backgrounds. Olga though doesn't fit quite so neatly into any one mold.
  1. We don't see much of Olga. However her demeanor to me seemed more like a soldier then intelligence. Then again she use to drive for an Embassy. So I could be wrong, or maybe she's both. I can't seem to decide.
  2. Okay Olga is totally eastern block, and 90% chance she's Russian. I always felt that she started her career in Mother Russia. So how the hell did she become a member of on of Italy's most secret organizations. There is a story there, and you know it.
I don't know, am I the only one who finds thinks all that's a bit strange on closer inspection?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strive for your next breath.  Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one.  Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Who is Olga?

Post by Thanatos on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 12:41

Olga is one of those unlucky characters Yu Aida never focused and worked on; too bad she looks like she mya have a interesting background since, like Wileama said, itīs prettu unusual how a ex-KGB agent joined up the social welfare agency.

And there was this strange looks when she meet Petruskha for the first time....i wonder what was up with that?

Thanatos

Male

Forum Posts : 140

Fan of : Portugal

Original Characters : DUR HUR

Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 12:46

Olga is almost certainly KGB - Georgio referred to his fellow support personnel as 'former special ops and spies', which would agree with such a line of work. A lot of KGB personnel, while having an intelligence background, also received full military training - particularly those with the movement's OSNAZ detachment. As for how she ended up with the Agency, I think the most reasonable explanation is that after the KGB disbanded upon the fall of the Soviet Union, Olga drifted to Italy and found employment with Italy's Russian embassy, after which she caught Lorenzo's eye and got snapped up by the SWA.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 14:31

from what i make of Olga, she is EX-KGB, I know for a fact that losing a tail is a much needed skill for a KGB operative as even though KGB are spies, they were also used to save gaurd the lives of government officials.

and Judging from her weapon of choice, a IMI Desert Eagle (not sure what she caimbers though.) I'd have to say that she is no light weight either.

so her back ground might be military as well as it was not uncommon for KGB to be trained out of spetsnaz or regular soldiers.

Other then that its anyones guess what she is.

But i wonder what the deal is with her turning away from petrushka... maybe a bad memory.

one thing i can totally confirm is that she is russian.

I dont remember where i read it, but there were some occations where olga would throw out a small comment in russian, i know a small amount of russian, enough to conferm that it was russian. but i cant confirm anything other then that.

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Forum Posts : 1950

Fan of : All the SWA girls, Even the adult ones ^_^

Original Characters : Thomas & Sora Dutch

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Sun 24 Feb 2008 - 14:55

Correction, Volume 2, chapter 10, page 119 first frame at the buttom of the page.

Olga says "Боже мой" which is russian for "My god"

"Боже мой" from Cyrillic to roman letters whould spell. "Beozhele emoi"

No translation is underneath that in the english version of the official ADV Manga mind you.

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Wed 27 Feb 2008 - 10:11

I was able to confirm that Olga chamers .44mag round in her Desert Eagle.

Source is the Gunslinger girl Disk that Sintendo posted for download.

thought The slide says .50AE, I'll keep to what the information sheet says.

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Wed 27 Feb 2008 - 12:53

I thought they only make a .50, and .357 version. According to wikipedia thought I'm wrong. Still it's a little hard to swallow Olga caring what I can only call a 'pimp gun.' I mean nothing beats it for stopping power, but it leave some things to be desired as a combat weapon.

Anyway KGB does make a lot of sense. The USSR certainly did hemorrhage people for a while before, during, and after it's collapse. It's more likely Olga made the move into italian intelligence after the break up of the USSR. Still it would be cool if she where a cold war defector. She then again age doesn't seem quite right for that. Eh, what ever.

Strive for your next breath.  Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one.  Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Wed 27 Feb 2008 - 19:34

Wileama wrote:I thought they only make a .50, and .357 version
...I've heard of the .357 version, but never seen it. A friend of mine used to have a Desert Eagle with easily swappable barrels for either .44mag or .50AE (he sold it recently).
Wileama wrote:Still it's a little hard to swallow Olga caring what I can only call a 'pimp gun.' I mean nothing beats it for stopping power, but it leave some things to be desired as a combat weapon.
too true. it works great for intimidation, and it has awesome stopping power, but the Desert Eagle fails in three major areas as a service pistol: ease of carry/concealment, magazine capacity, and, most importantly: reliability.
Wileama wrote:Anyway KGB does make a lot of sense. The USSR certainly did hemorrhage people for a while before, during, and after it's collapse. It's more likely Olga made the move into italian intelligence after the break up of the USSR.
I concur.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Wed 27 Feb 2008 - 19:47

You know maybe Olga just drives around listen to snoop dog in her drop top Cadillac. Despite the mockery of her fellow agents...

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 1:54

The fact that Olga's ended up with a part to play in the RPG has made me quite interested in this thread. I'm really tending towards playing her as a quite capable operator at this point. Would you people say that seems fitting from your impressions of her?

Have to agree on the Desert Eagle issue, and would add a nasty firing signature (especially in the larger calibre models) and heavy handling (which do you think you can bring on target faster -a one kilogram CZ75 or a two plus kilogram Desert Eagle?). It's reportedly possible to temporarily blind yourself with the muzzle flash from one of those things if you fire it in a dark room (at least with the larger calibres). Too bad canon contradicts it being the .357 version -that would arguably have beeat least somewhat more practical.

The rifle I chose for her in the RPG should be a respectable choice though. Since she's Russian I went with a weapon using an AK style action of course. Specifically a SIG SG 550. Laughing (Actually, it's questionable as to whether the SG series AK style action really had much to do with it, but it doesn't change the fact that an SG series rifle and an AK-47 have very similar internal operation in spite of considerable external and performance differences.)

Piero

Male

Forum Posts : 2617

Fan of : Full Metal Panic, Macross Frontier, Mai-HiME

Original Characters : Diana and Piero

Registration date : 2008-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 2:10

Piero wrote:Would you people say that seems fitting from your impressions of her?

Hell yes. From what little we've seen of Olga, she does seem quite the seasoned vet (take her contributions in Volume Three, for instance) - that woman exudes cool like none of the other support personnel do. And if you you're looking for a good AK-style weapon that retains the AK's original operating mechanism, yet trumps the original in almost every way, I suggest you give Olga a Valmet or a Galil when RP'ing her.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 2:34

That comment about choosing a weapon with an AK style action for her since she's Russian was kind of meant to be humorous. Honestly, I don't think her weapons need to be stereotypically Russian. The SG series rifles are considered by many to be excellent weapons. Great accuracy, ergonomics, and an operating mechanism that is very similar to one she'd probably already be familiar with -what's not to like? (Well, other then them being a touch heavy and the fact that the return spring was moved to a place where it tends to get subjected to a lot of heat.)

Last edited by Piero on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 2:38; edited 1 time in total

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 2:36

Nearly everyone in the Agency uses a SiG.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 7:52

Then, with her packing a IMI Desert Eagle, it makes her the oddball of the team.

still, I'd say that Desert Eagle's are best used in the desert, they are made for that kind of inviroment, same as a Glock. they dont jam that easily with a bit of sand in it. and the Glock will just keep firing until it falls apart on its own.

Strange that we dont see that weapon featured sadly...

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 8:06

Unless you count the many author-created fratello teams who use Glocks (including mine), the only times a Glock ever appeared in Gunslinger Girl were in Episode One (wielded by the luckless Lui) and on all the occasions Franca drew her gun (it was a Glock).

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 8:15

Missed that, thanks nacht

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 28 Feb 2008 - 8:17

No prob, Tommy.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 3:08

Nachtsider wrote:Nearly everyone in the Agency uses a SiG.

That's just a testatment to how awesome SiGs are. Very Happy

Also, of the various canon characters who have used SG series rifles, only Elsa is really strongly associated with them, and she's now dead. Rico already has an association with the Galil, and the Valmet is a 7.62x39mm weapon in an Agency that probably favours 5.56x45mm (a round which arguably offers significant advantages). They also both strike me as more stereotypically AK-ish then the SG series.

The specific SG based set up I'm planning for Olga to use in the current RPG thread is a SG 550-2 with bipod, a sight rail mounting a 1.1-4x20mm S&B Short Dot scope (using a quick detach mount), and a SIMRAD clip on image intensifier (this last one is the iffy part of the set up as I'm not sure it would actually fit a Short Dot properly in real life). Combined with open tip match rounds, that's a quite capable set up for the perimeter role she has. Without meaning offence to the Galil and the Valmet -do they really seem as well suited to mounting high end optics on as the SG series?

BTW, the Desert Eagle was actually designed by Magnum Research, an American company, IMI is just the manufacturer. It is not a standard issue side arm in any military force that I am aware of, and given their cleanliness issues I doubt they're all that well suited to sandy desert environments.

Glocks are another matter. They're quite reliable guns from what I've heard (although I don't know how well they perform in sandy environments specifically). Some of the glock models can seem a bit generic though. Although a longslide Glock might be kind of a cool weapon for a character to have.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 3:16

If you're talking about mounting optics and gadgets, Piero, I must concede that the SiG would probably be better in that regard. Ultimately, though, the decision of what to arm Olga with is entirely yours.

I'm aware of who was behind the Deagle. That thing is a monster of a handgun that, although mighty intimidating and packing a tremendous punch, isn't quite practical - using one is like using a rifle on a dragonfly. Although I decided to arm my OC Aharon with one, more to underscore his parallels with Harry Callahan than anything else.

Glocks can function in nearly any environment. They are pure win, as I can attest - I've fired some before.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 12:38

Nachtsider wrote:If you're talking about mounting optics and gadgets, Piero, I must concede that the SiG would probably be better in that regard.

The base weapon is important, but the package as a whole can be even more so.

Actually, I often don't like pimping guns out with too many rails and accessories when I write. However, I do have a thing for high end optics. The SiG SG series rifles and the S&B Short Dot are both considered to be among the best of their respective types, and I really wanted to put the two of them together, it seemed quite fitting somehow. The SIMRAD was an addition made primarily because of operational conditions -Olga's doing a perimeter role during a night operation in a rural area, so a night vision device that can clip onto a day scope and allow the operator to maintain their preferred reticule and eye position is a very useful tool.

Glocks can function in nearly any environment. They are pure win, as I can attest - I've fired some before.

I actually considered Glocks as potential back ups guns for my OC fratello, but ended up deciding against them for that role. The lack of a second strike capability may have been a factor. Although given how many people trust Glock reliability, I may have been putting a lot of emphasis on the lack of that capability.

Anyone ever wondered if Olga would have made a good handler?

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommygunner70 on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 12:57

Nachtsider wrote:Glocks can function in nearly any environment. They are pure win, as I can attest - I've fired some before.

They are know to function even after being burried in sand and mud for over a year, just big it up, pull the slide back, shake the loose sand out, magazine in the gun, release the slide catch and fire away.

the Automatic G18 has a similar track record as an AK-47

When clean, they fire perfectly, when full of sand or other junk, they wont fire as perfect as they do when clean, but at least they still fire and thats the point of it all.

Kind of figures for the Glocks as they are manufactured and designed by a company in Australia, not gettting and on or in your weapon is like, near impossible?

**Edit**

Piero wrote:I
actually considered Glocks as potential back ups guns for my OC
fratello, but ended up deciding against them for that role. The lack of
a second strike capability may have been a factor. Although given how
many people trust Glock reliability, I may have been putting a lot of
emphasis on the lack of that capability.

a Glocks small size make it perfect as a backup weapon strapped to your lower leg.

Piero wrote:Anyone ever wondered if Olga would have made a good handler?

I sure do wonder, i know that Boomer made a fanfic about Ferro getting a Cyborg... Alex was the 'Male' cyborg name, funny thing is that it was a H fanfic.

i hope he is still writing on it or if he will ever put it out there. i read the sample he made, and i believe that i still have it stored away on my PC, but sadly he asked me not to spread the file.

I'll ask him when i get the chance if he would allow me to post an upload to it for a limited time....

Tommygunner70
The Legend
The Legend

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 13:04

Actually, Glocks are made in Austria, not Australia.

In the past, news of Austrian wine containing antifreeze supposedly hurt sales of Australian wine...

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 15:56

Piero wrote:Anyone ever wondered if Olga would have made a good handler?

I think she would have.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 19:35

Piero wrote:
Nachtsider wrote:Glocks can function in nearly any environment. They are pure win, as I can attest - I've fired some before.
I actually considered Glocks as potential back ups guns for my OC fratello, but ended up deciding against them for that role. The lack of a second strike capability may have been a factor. Although given how many people trust Glock reliability, I may have been putting a lot of emphasis on the lack of that capability.
I'd say so... but then, I put a whole lot of emphasis on reliability (which is why I treat my CZ like the precision tool [**edit**]lol.. I'd forgotten where I first read that.. it was one of Nachtsider's posts in the old forum... and the label held true[**/edit**] it is... it's a fine target pistol, and it would be great for urban ops, but I wouldn't want it in a combat situation out in The Middle Of Nowhere, Middle East)
This is the sidearm for me.

Last edited by LoC978 on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 20:46; edited 1 time in total

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Piero on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 19:42

I was under the impression that CZ 75s were quite reliable handguns. Although I've also heard that they're a bit on the complicated side.

Piero

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 19:52

they have very tight tolerances... so you really hafta make sure they stay free of sand, dirt, et cetera, and they need a thorough cleaning every time they spend a day at the range. On the up side: I've never fired a more accurate pistol. Once I got used to the grip and the sights, I started being able to consistantly nail soda cans and beer bottles at 50 yards. So, yeah... it's the AR-15 of handguns.
as for being complicated... I don't find my CZ any more difficult to disassemble and clean than an M9 (Beretta 92F). It just takes a little more time, due to the odd slide catch.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Fri 29 Feb 2008 - 21:19

When all of civilization collapses in a fire orgy of doom I want an AK, and a Glock. It's that simple. If civilization looks like it's going to pan out for a while, there are some other guns I might prefer.

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum