What did Rabollo do to Claes that made Jean so angry?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What did Rabollo do to Claes that made Jean so angry?

Post by Guest on Tue 3 May 2016 - 21:11

In the Gunslinger Girl Manga (Chapter 77/Page 10) when Jean Croce is saying his goodbyes to Claes, as he walked away from her he was thinking to himself "What you did to her was inexcusable, Captain Raballo." What do you think Raballo did to Claes that was so bad?

Jean was not exactly overly loving with his cyborg, Rico, and was even seen to hit her as a form of disciple, but whatever Raballo did to Claes seemed to make Jean very angry. Whether or not Jean was the one to kill Raballo is unknown, but after his death, Jean grew reasonably close to Claes: he was seen asking if she needed anything and they appeared to talk to each other with relative ease. 

ALL HAIL GUNSLINGER GIRL!!!
Not Worthy! Not Worthy! Not Worthy! Not Worthy! Not Worthy!

Back to top Go down

Re: What did Rabollo do to Claes that made Jean so angry?

Post by Alfisti on Wed 4 May 2016 - 6:01

I've often suspected that Jean distances himself from Rico/treats her harshly more to protect himself than through any actual genuine (as opposed to lies told to himself and the world) feeling that that's how a cyborg should be treated. That's just a theory, but at a guess he considers Raballo abandoning Claes (and getting himself killed, either at the hands of the agency or someone else) as what is "inexcusable". Perhaps though some of that is also Jean offloading some of his own disappointment toward Raballo, for not living up to whatever image of the man he himself had created in his own mind?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Forum Posts : 5739

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Wed 4 May 2016 - 18:32

I agree Alfisti, what you're suggesting maybe right on the money. It seems sort of all or nothing for him. Either you are completely on board with all that the SWA demands, or you could very well be fit for targeting one day.
Apart from that, I think Jean is in the mentality of seeing the world through the curved lens of obsession for revenge and anyone who he figures does not share that view is not to be completely trusted anyway.
tremec6speed

Male

Forum Posts : 1968

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathduck monster on Wed 4 May 2016 - 22:16

Continuing from them-lack of Raballo making Claes ineffective at combat operations(which is pretty much what the cyborgs are built for) and not able to take part in Jean's revenge(which might be the more important issue at that moment with what they're gearing up for).

On the opposite side, Claes has been left behind by someone she was incredibly attached to(which sucks regardless of cyberization) and doesn't remember him(which the handlers + reads can see as tragic even if she doesn't).
Bathduck monster

Male

Forum Posts : 94

Fan of : Interesting stories

Original Characters : Santa and Nicia(and Enzo)

Comments : None, thanks for asking though.

Registration date : 2016-03-15
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Wed 11 May 2016 - 5:34

I always felt that Jean felt sorry for Claes, because Raballo left her behind in trying to spill the beans on the agency. Whether Jean silenced Raballo himself, or knows who did it is up for debate.
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 11 May 2016 - 15:05

Let's lay this on the table right at the start:

Jean is the nice brother.

Yeah, he regards the cyborgs as living weapons, tools. But he's not abusive. He bloodied Rico's mouth once during training, true; Rico shrugged it off as part of the job. Priscilla did much the same over the black eye he gave her in hand-to-hand training before that. And after the failed tower assault, he let his frustration momentarily get the better of him and he roughly pushed his 'borg out of his way. Anybody might have done that.

Contrast that behavior to the many signs of consideration he shows the girls - not just his; look through the manga and anime and you'll see him doing nice things for Henrietta, Ange, Claes, and Petra. He recommended a restaurant for Jose to take 'Etta to. He was wonderstruck by the sight of her in one of Enrica's dresses in Taormina ("It's okay. Just - just stand there, and let me look at you."). Claes has an extensive wardrobe and numerous privileges courtesy of the chief handler - at one point, Triela comments to Claes that if she wants something, all she has to do is ask Jean for it - and he even takes her to private film showings in the lecture hall, and chats with her about her piano.

He reassures Rico more than once that she's valuable to him, and that he's pleased with her. He talks with her about current events and their missions, more in the manner of Hilshire than the condescending tell-her-what-she-needs-to know attitude of his brother. Jean develops Rico into a partner over time - a junior partner, but a partner just the same, and in the end, when he thinks his revenge is satisfied, he tries to release her from service to him. Compare that to what Jose did to 'Etta.

All that being said, he never forgets that  the cyborgs were created for a purpose. He tells Jose that a certain amount of bonding with one's cyborg makes her more useful. He recommends that Claes and 'Etta undergo a reboot because of, let's face it, a couple of stupid mistakes by their handlers. While we may never know entirely what that Jean/Rico hug at the firing range was all about, it was certainly prompted by Jean's relief that his little tool was still functioning properly after the news of Ange's death.

And that's why Jean was angry with Raballo. Because Raballo projected his ambivalent feelings toward Section Two onto his cyborg, treating her like a daughter at the lake and a boot at the training ground, and in the end stealing away her sense of purpose as a cyborg of the Agency, telling her to 'be good' and 'think before you shoot'. After Jean's old captain was finished messing her up, all she was good for after he was gone was being used as a crashtest dummy by the medical staff. In Jean's mind, Raballo used his cyborg more cruelly than any other handler.

[rant]@#$%![/rant]
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1834

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by crazyidiot78 on Wed 11 May 2016 - 18:25

TSM- you probably have the most accurate interpretation of Jean. I guess the fans just sort made him into the character everyone loves to hate.
crazyidiot78

Male

Forum Posts : 1534

Fan of : Claes

Original Characters : none at this time

Comments : Me- So I used Naruto as a way to explain how viruses destroy cells in class ...... ok that as odd...... but it actually worked.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has six different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salt sheep heads

Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 11 May 2016 - 21:55

In my opinion Jean probably has one of the better relationships with his cyborg.

Rico isn't devoted to him as strongly as Henrietta to Jose, and she also understands exactly what is required of her, unlike Triela with Hilshire (at the beginning of the manga). He does not tell her that she is useless like Marco did to Angelica when he was hurt that she had forgotten about the "Pasta Story".

Jean did seem to grow pretty close to Claes, watching her play the piano, giving her anything she needed, talking with her, ect... He was also clearly unhappy when the doctor asked to use her for tests in the cyborg program and Lorenzo agreed. 

ps. Thescarredman : I love your profile picture!!!:praise:What is it from? He looks really badass. Also that end paragraph you wrote up really explained it for me. Thanks a million.
head bang

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 12 May 2016 - 13:45

That's Jack Lynch, one of the principal protags from Gen13, my first fanfic series. Jack Keaton of RB is derived from him.
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 13 May 2016 - 17:48

He looks really good. Did you draw it yourself?

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 13 May 2016 - 22:47

No. One of the talents at DeviantArt. His signature is in the lower right corner.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 23 May 2016 - 6:52

I wonder why Jean finds Claes so easy to talk to. He treats her better than Rico and seemed to enjoy her company, or watching her play the piano.

Maybe it is because he just feels sorry for her after she was abandoned by Rabollo!

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 23 May 2016 - 12:48

Or maybe because he doesn't need to be aloof towards a cyborg he knows he'll never need to order to her death.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 23 May 2016 - 16:47

That's very true!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum