Raballo

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Raballo

Post by Robert Frazer on Mon 23 Mar 2009 - 1:29

My theory is that Jean was ordered to cap Raballo but balked, and Lorenzo then got someone else to do it.

Mmm, whether or not Jean actually delivered the killing blow is another matter, but I see him as definitely being involved in the commission of Raballo's assassination. Let's not forget that it was Jean who invited Raballo into the Agency - and that the two had a long-standing association before that. Raballo's ratting was more than an administrative burden - professionally it cast questions on Jean's judgement, and personally it was a wounding betrayal. Jean surely would demand redress.

Robert Frazer

Forum Posts : 1156

Registration date : 2009-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 23 Mar 2009 - 1:41

You could interpret it as being that way, Robert. But I feel there's an equally valid case for Jean's friendship with Raballo as making him hesitant.

Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Forum Posts : 5718

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 23 Mar 2009 - 10:34

@Robert Frazer wrote:Mmm, whether or not Jean actually delivered the killing blow is another matter, but I see him as definitely being involved in the commission of Raballo's assassination.

On that I agree. I can't see Jean having any real qualms about taking Raballo out - Section 2 is more important then anything else in Jean's life - everything else is secondary to his vengeance against the PRF.

I believe he didn't do it out of a need of being able to deny he had anything to do with it, not because he was unwilling to see it done.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10890

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by MadHatChemist on Sat 4 Apr 2009 - 21:52

On that I agree. I can't see Jean having any real qualms about
taking Raballo out - Section 2 is more important then anything else in
Jean's life - everything else is secondary to his vengeance against the
PRF.

Heck, he is so obsessed that I could see him taking out his own borther if it were necissary.

MadHatChemist

Forum Posts : 441

Registration date : 2009-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 14 Jul 2009 - 15:39

Ok, since we’ve started to learn a good bit more about the girls and their handlers in recent chapters and episodes, I thought it might not be a bad time to revise their sections in the wiki. I also took the liberty of trimming them a bit, since in many cases they were more plot summaries than character summaries. Let me know what you think, please.

A former Captain in the Carabinieri, discharged due to a leg injury, he is approached by Jean Croce to serve as Claes's handler. In return, Jean would ensure Raballo’s reinstatement to the Carabinieri after three years. During his time in Section 2, Raballo and Claes partook of activities outside the SWA, especially fishing. He also taught Claes the value of patience and rekindled her prior love of reading. However, he came to have questions about how the girls were being used and started speaking to a newspaper reporter. He left the compound to meet "a friend", but was killed in a vehicular hit-and-run.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Tue 14 Jul 2009 - 18:20; edited 2 times in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Tue 14 Jul 2009 - 18:03

That last sentence is a tricky one. I prefer 'Killed' over 'Died' because it implicates a more sinister motive to what happened. Secondly, we do not know if Rabello actually met the reporter or not during this incident.

ElfenMagix

Forum Posts : 5676

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor on Wed 15 Jul 2009 - 3:46

A former Captain in the Carabinieri, discharged due to a leg injury, he is approached by Jean Croce to serve as Claes's handler. In return, Jean would ensure Raballo’s reinstatement to the Carabinieri after three years. During his time in Section 2, Raballo and Claes partook of activities outside the SWA, especially fishing. He also taught Claes the value of patience and rekindled her prior love of reading. However, he came to have questions about how the girls were being used and started speaking to a newspaper reporter. He left the compound to meet "a friend", but was killed in a vehicular hit-and-run.

Good Very Happy

emperor

Forum Posts : 1637

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nagneto on Sat 3 Sep 2011 - 4:58

Guest wrote: the whole rebel against the people who created you to be a living weapon thing is far from original, but if the story was well-written, chronicling each girl's battle to find a set of values and desires beyond what the Agency could offer them, then I would love to see such a thing written.

I also find this idea interesting. I might consider something in the future.

Nagneto

Forum Posts : 62

Registration date : 2011-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 23:01

I was looking the Raballo/Claes episode on youtube the other day and two things came to mind. When Raballo first spoke to Jean it seemed to me like Raballo already did not like the organization and Jean's involvement there. His expressions, when first looking at Rico, seemed upset.
Raballo: (looking at Jean) "After you left the squadron, I heard this rumor... that you seemed to have gotten involved with some suspicious company."
Jean: (looking away) "To me, it is a job that I was well suited for." Speaking to Claes, Raballo pointed out that the damage to his leg was due to friendly fire. That's what took him down as well. Lauro cared nothing and was shot by his 'weapon'. Raballo cared too much (apparently) and was shot by his superiors.

After Henrietta and Claes were wiped again a few 'pages' of their mind, Raballo spoke to Jose briefly. In the course of the conversation, Raballo acts curiously to me. He mumbles: 'A good soldier should read a book, my ass.' Then goes, 'oh'. as if he said something wrong. Jose and Raballo look at each other momentarily then Raballo says: 'Please keep the fact that I've grumbled a secret from Jean to yourself.' Afterward Claes informed Raballo that she heard rumors from Henrietta that he wanted to leave the organization. I guess his dissatisfaction was not a secret.
'I dunno, I guess I'm reading too much into that part of the conversation but it seems curious. Lastly when Jean informs Cales of Raballo's passing, Triela yells Claes's name, while Jean says recover her. Triela calls out to her again, apparently Claes took off where who knows.

tremec6speed

Forum Posts : 1968

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Odon on Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 6:43

I do think you're reading too much into it. This man who's dedicated his life to the Carabinieri loses his leg, not in action against enemies of the State but because some clumsy idiot mishandled his weapon (witness his violent reaction when Henrietta shows poor weapons safety) and his reward for years of service is to get booted out. This is why Raballo is gruff and bitter when Jean talks to him, and later when he's dealing with Claes.

Raballo was Jean's superior, and likely his mentor as well. They're bound to share similar ideas on how the government should deal with terrorists and riff-raff (remember Raballo sending Claes to kill some subway punks purely as a training exercise). Jean is actually smiling when he thinks he's got Raballo hooked! Hence Raballo's reluctance to have Jean hear that he's been grumbling - an officer is supposed to keep morale up, not undermine it by questioning the mission or the methods where others can hear it. As it turns out, he resigns not long after that anyway - naturally everyone in the Agency knows about that. But this sudden out-of-character action might have lead to Jean having him put under surveillance.

@tremec6speed wrote: Lastly when Jean informs Cales of Raballo's passing, Triela yells Claes's name, while Jean says recover her. Triela calls out to her again, apparently Claes took off where who knows.

I assume Claes just keeled over, though she did take off to who knows where...inside her head.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had a dream. We were together in my dream. We were brother and sister, father and mother, wife and husband. And both of us were both."
-- The Princess and the Warrior

Odon

Male

Forum Posts : 463

Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 14:48

Perhaps you're right, I can't say I completely agree but I did feel that I may have read too much into the scenes. I guess healthy speculation sometimes morphs in me head into twists in the plot that are not really there.
tremec6speed

Male

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 22 Mar 2013 - 19:44

There's been an awful lot of speculation here about Raballo's final attitude toward the Agency, as well as the circumstances of his death. I've got a really wild theory about it:

He was killed in a hit-and-run. A real one.

Whatever reason he had to visit his friend the reporter, it wasn't to expose the Agency (I can think of half a dozen possibilities without really trying, can't you?). And if it was, nobody at Section Two knew at the time, though they surely found out later.

Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1834

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 22 Mar 2013 - 20:28

@Thescarredman wrote:There's been an awful lot of speculation here about Raballo's final attitude toward the Agency, as well as the circumstances of his death. I've got a really wild theory about it:

He was killed in a hit-and-run. A real one.

Whatever reason he had to visit his friend the reporter, it wasn't to expose the Agency (I can think of half a dozen possibilities without really trying, can't you?). And if it was, nobody at Section Two knew at the time, though they surely found out later.

Makes as much sense as anything else.

I believe he was killed by a hit and run - either as a true accident or as a sanctioned kill by Lorenzo (through a third party criminal who was then killed themselves by Rico under Jean's orders).

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 22 Mar 2013 - 21:03

The incident at the firing range has always stuck in my craw. In a just world, Jose and Raballo would have been sent to Hereford to join Amadeo and Giorgio - Jose for not training his cyborg in fundamental firearms safety before turning her loose with a loaded weapon; Raballo for his uncontrolled show of temper (striking another S2 member? Really? And threaten him?), which seems to be a greater handicap to a GIS agent than a limp. The whole cockup was their fault, not the girls'. Henrietta and Claes did exactly what they were trained to do, protect their handlers - seems to me that if Raballo had been a civ, he would have been dead before he had a chance to strike a second blow.
Then again, Yu's Italy is a very unjust world. Instead of censuring his brother and former commander, Jean dumped the blame on the girls, even going so far as to recommend scrubbing their brains and upping their conditioning. Jose fought it and perservered, Raballo let it happen, knowing the consequences to his girl, even going so far as to ask Jose not to mention that Raballo had protested the decision even in private. Guess in the end Claes didn't mean as much to him as a new leg and his old job back.
Thescarredman

Male

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Mon 25 Mar 2013 - 15:47

Interesting theory, 'Scarred.

Things to counteract it is when Jean came in to tell Claes, he was wearing his trench coat and gloves, on a particularly hot summer day when Rabello left he was in a short sleeve shirt. Plus, Rabello drove to meet his reporter perhaps with some evidence to show. If he got hit it had to have been within a short distance of the reporter. A old guy with a cane would make sure that he has room to walk around and get out of the way if possible.

Thing is, until that point, Rabello always walked with a cane and on his last day with Cleas, he did not have one (if he did it was in the car but he was moving about just fine).

No. I think that Rabello, whether he passed or failed with Claes in the agency's view, got his wish: new pair of knees for working for them for two years as per their agreement and walked away. But in his retirement, he was about to tell on them and Jean offed him because Jean always wears that trench coat and glove when he is out on a mission, even if it is the warm days of Spring/Summer.

If Fernando had Super Powers, He would be God!
ElfenMagix

Male

Fan of : Pia, Elsa, Cleas, Triela...

Original Characters : Fernando & Rachel, Felix & Francesca

Comments : He has super powers. He is God.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Mon 25 Mar 2013 - 20:02

Oho. Never noticed that bit about the trench, Elfen. I did notice the lack of a cane, but thought it might already be in the car.

But ... when he walked in to tell Claes, didn't he say that Raballo had been killed two days before?

A new possibility comes to mind: what if Raballo was killed after he talked to his reporter friend? Perhaps the reporter confided in the wrong guy...
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 13:28

Since Ferro and Priscilla have their media contacts, chances are that they were the ones who verified what information Rabello gave the reporter. So its becoming a conspiracy than a one man job.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 22:47

This is starting to sound like a story outline.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 14:57

@Thescarredman wrote:This is starting to sound like a story outline.
Do it. and figure out why the story was never printed, or if it was, it was on the front page of the tabloids...
(I have no time to do it myself, sadly.)

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 18:58

I am NOT going to give in to the plot bunnies.
I am NOT going to give in to the plot bunnies.
I am NOT going to give in to the plot bunnies....
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 4:12

I still don’t see why Jean found it necessary to tell Cleas about Raballo’s demise, especially in front of Triela. Seems kind of pointless (and a little cruel) considering what happened next. I suppose it was more for the sake of the audience than anything else.

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Forum Posts : 2609

Fan of : Hillshire/Triela

Original Characters : Biff & Little Britney

Comments : OC hater par excellence.

Registration date : 2007-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 8:54

The only possible reason I can think of is guilt.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 10:02

Maybe, but if it were me, and I was on a guilt trip, I’d try to make it as easy as possible for her. I just don’t see any reason to traumatize to poor girl for no reason. Tell her the clinic has her scheduled for an oil change, and once she’s there, slip her a mickey and then give her a whole new outlook on life. This would also serve to keep Triela in the dark about it.

“I don’t hate him specifically, it’s the rest of you selfish adults I hold a grudge against.”
Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 15:13

s cold and calculating as Jean is, in his mind its destroy Reballo and then destroy anything that he might have left. Unfortunately, Cleas survived the mental rape he gave her. I can almost bet that he tought that in hearing about Rabello's death, that Cleas would kill herself and not go catatonic.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 17:53

Don't know. Remember, Claes was the very first cyborg to lose a handler; maybe Jean simply didn't suspect her reaction would be so radical. Once Raballo's out of the picture and Jean is pretty much in charge of Claes, he seems to treat her better than he does Rico. That sounds like a loyal subordinate shouldering a respected superior's responsibility to me.
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:18

Like I said, Jean blabbing to Cleas was probably just a quick and easy way to convey info to the audience.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 14:04

The SWA killed Raballo because he was disillusioned with their methods, which only happened after he and Claes started bonding on the emotional level. Likely he was realizing that the "tool" that is the cyborgs were capable of being much more, even a "real" girl again. Were they brainwashed even more and incapable of emotional bonding (much like the ending Henrietta) I doubt he would have felt the same.
Who can say what his final solution would be... Perhaps he thought exposing the agency would ensure a better outcome for the girls (or at least Claes) than simply being bullet-sponges.

I do know this... Jean's character is not one prone to excessive sentimentalism. He might look up to Raballo and respect him, but he said numerous times that anything that stood in the way of his vengeance would be destroyed. Were Raballo to go public, the SWA would fall, and Jean would lose his best chance at revenge. Given his respect for Raballo, and the seriousness of the situation at hand, I find it to be almost certain that Jean whacked Raballo in whatever way it actually happened, likely at Lorenzo's order, and in the belief that he could trust no one else to do the job of silencing a respected colleague-turned-traitor.

The overcoat could be a couple of things. A "business" garment, okay, maybe. It's more likely it is simply worn out of habit and utility whenever he is doing official sneaky business. It covers weapons well and provides considerable anonymity should he be spotted. "Guy in trench-coat and sunglasses". Go figure How specific is that?

I DO agree that telling and caring for Claes himself was a final act of respect for Raballo. Maybe the two had words before Raballo bought it. I can see that happening. Holmes and Moriarty had a lovely chat beside Reichenbach Falls before their epic final battle. It's simply the way between two respecting individuals, at least in fiction. I doubt Raballo had any illusions about living though. Jean is the type to discuss things with his gun on you first.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Forum Posts : 823

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by ElfenMagix on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 15:34

I forget where but it is mentioned that a cyborg would go looney tunes if she is to lose her handler I think it was with Henrietta... And in knowing that, Jean knew that in telling Claes that she had lost Rabello - no matter the cause - that she would go bat shit. It would have been best if the medical tech's told her under sedation. Instead, as I see it, Jean temporarily shut down a cyborg.

ElfenMagix

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 17:20

@ElfenMagix wrote:I forget where but it is mentioned that a cyborg would go looney tunes if she is to lose her handler I think it was with Henrietta...

I would love to know where, in the manga or the anime, you saw that, Elfen. I'd never heard of it. If you could track it down and show me, it would certainly put my idea about Jean's intentions out the window, wouldn't it?
Thescarredman

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 20:27

I don't believe it was ever explicitly said what would happen to a cyborg if their handler died since it had never happened.

If they knew a cyborg would go crazy, Jean would never have risked telling Claes in her dorm room with Triela present. He wouldn't have said anything, instead having all of the cyborg's memory of Raballo erased.

I think everyone was surprised when Claes withdrew into herself when informed of Raballo's death and was found to unsuitable to re-partner. The meeting about what to do with her is evidence to me that they discovered that whatever protocols they had in place for such an event were not correct and they were somewhat winging it to salvage an asset.

As for Henrietta, she was as infatuated with Jose and Elsa was with Lauro and she therefore understood Elsa's murder-suicide because she would do the same if Jose ignored her.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 12:59; edited 1 time in total

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 21:37

I would say that they truly realized the bond between handler and cyborg when Claes broke. Perhaps they suspected some level of complication due to their methods before that, but since she was the first, the expectations and reality were quite different in result. In any case, I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that the first thing they started looking at afterwards was what the minimal amount of brainwashing and conditioning should be.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Danjo3 on Sat 30 Mar 2013 - 12:22

Claes was in a state of shock when Jean told her the hit a run story. Now if he’d told her the truth, that the Agency was responsible, her reaction might have been a whole lot different.

Danjo3
The Voice of Reason

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tremec6speed on Sun 31 Mar 2013 - 16:19

Claudio Raballo ROCKS! Just had to say that 'cause....... He does. sweat
tremec6speed

Male

Fan of : Lauro and Olga!

Original Characters : Vinson/Helen/Salvatore + Gunther/Ayden. Baddies are a small group of 'techno-anarchists'

Comments : I hope to include a short illustrated fanfic story of both Mr. Yutaka Aida's characters as well as some I've come up with.

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Sun 31 Mar 2013 - 22:45

@tremec6speed wrote:Claudio Raballo ROCKS! Just had to say that 'cause....... He does.

Thank god they didn;t slip him into Il-T in a more youthful, pie-plate eyed role like they did all the other guys. Hilshire was probably the worst bit of character assassination I've seen since Greedo fired first.

maverick375

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content