[Brainstorming] Initial Plot and Title Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Brainstorming] Initial Plot and Title Discussion

Post by sasahara17 on Sat 7 Jun 2008 - 7:35

Okay, now that this ship has some crewmembers, lets start thinking up a plot and a better title.

So far I've come up with this sealed casket/box/whatever thing to draw ninjas into the Carribean and have two pirates (or one pirate and a spanish privateer) making life difficualt for the english, but surely there must be more to it!

Also, I'd like to find a good title for this fanfic. My original title seems... I dunno... tacky.

sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts: 1001

Fan of: GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters: Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments: A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date: 2007-11-09

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1016097/

Back to top Go down

Re: [Brainstorming] Initial Plot and Title Discussion

Post by Awinnell on Sat 7 Jun 2008 - 8:29

as i understand it the pirates and the pravateers are also fighting a little war with each other,this is of course a reality, the letter of marque issued to a privateer says they are to make war against all enemies of their nation,which includes pirates.
so this must really be a 4 way battle,the British,the Privateers,the Pirates and the Ninjas,so i guess that temporary alliances would be formed and broken between them all as they search and fight for this mysterious casket
privateers were protected and would be treated as enemy combatants when captured ,but pirates would all hang if caught

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts: 2074

Fan of: Triela,asuka

Original Characters: not yet

Comments: Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date: 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Sat 7 Jun 2008 - 19:42

Well, actually it's going to be a five way battle, since the Ninjas are actively working against the Samurai.

To far, the various factions are...

Pirates A - Triela and Hillshire
Pirates B - Petra and 'Sandro (since they're in Tortuga)
English - Claes, Pino and Beatrice
Spanish - Elsa de Sica
Bounty Hunter - Frederick
Japanese Ninjas - Rico, Emilio and Henrietta
Japanese Samurai - Angie
Civilian - Peter

Did I miss anybody?

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Sun 8 Jun 2008 - 2:23

Okay, I've given it some thought and here's some things I'd like to discuss.

(1) The sealed box. I've kept saying it's really important and stuff, but what IS it really? I'll be pretty damn funny if the characters fight like crazy over what they belive is a world changing artifct of immense power, then find out the box merely contains some mundane object like a gold laterine bucket for Angie's shogun.

(2) Sea monsters and Ghost ships. Y/N

(3) I think I want Biccie to be like that Leo's character from Black Powder vengance (It impressed me that much). The ninjas and Samurai would be too powerful imn a straight up fight for most cahacters, and I don't think six shooters existed yet. Will I have to write to Leo about using his concept here?

That should be enougth to get the ball rolling.

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Sun 8 Jun 2008 - 2:31

The sea monster can go either way. It could end up being a brilliant, hilarious satire on the whole tentacles thing.

I can, indeed, picture a ghost ship appearing somewhere. One built from the bones of titanic sea monsters. With a ghostly Aharon and Liesel (Conte and Contessa Morte, perhaps?) in command of a rabid zombie crew of Childville cyborgs.

But that would demand my participation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.

Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts: 5718

Fan of: Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters: Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments: The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date: 2007-09-09

http://vampirefreaks.com/Nachtsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Sun 8 Jun 2008 - 2:53

Cheers, Nachtsider-san. ^_^

You guys mind if I handle the setting, both historical and territorial?

(Browses Wiki...)

Port Royal (in Jamaica) sank during 1642, and was even more destroyed by a pirate fleet during 1703. After 1642, the British moved to nearby Kingston, which came into its own as a major city starting 1716.

So if you're using Port Royal as the base of operations for Claes (as inspired by Pirates of the Carribean) the story must be set several decades before 1642.

I'm currently looking for the Spanish and French local HQs at this time in history. Somehow I suspect Elsa will be based in either Mexico (political and historical) or Cuba (strategical/tactical; Havana is in the Carribean and always has a lot of Spanish there).

The French? Will be our targets. Smile)

Also looking up Japan at this time.

and I don't think six shooters existed yet. Will I have to write to Leo about using his concept here?

Six shooters came about in 1900s. Derringers appeared in the 1840s. We're stuck with muzzle-loading flintlocks as the most advanced side arm in the world.

I'd suggest the Chu-Ko-Nuh, the Chinese repeating light crossbow. Yep, that's right, an automatic crossbow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow

I will send you my full report, maps included, when I'm done with it.

*working to the tune of Work Guy, ED song of Kamen no Maid Guy*

Sheo Darren

Male

Forum Posts: 377

Fan of: Mami Tomoe

Original Characters: Rolito Miranda, Giuseppe Miranda, Elena Miranda, Jessica Miranda

Registration date: 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Sun 8 Jun 2008 - 7:27

Nachtsider wrote:The sea monster can go either way. It could end up
being a brilliant, hilarious satire on the whole tentacles thing.

Well, I was wondering how the Carribean supernatural would fit into the whole mess. One one hand, we could have a straight out historial swashbuckling high seas adventure. On the other, Ninja magic, Vodoo, monsters of the deep, ghost ships, cursed astec gold... the full monty.

Nachtsider wrote:I
can, indeed, picture a ghost ship appearing somewhere. One built from
the bones of titanic sea monsters. With a ghostly Aharon and Liesel
(Conte and Contessa Morte, perhaps?) in command of a rabid zombie crew
of Childville cyborgs.

But that would demand my participation.

I so want this. Even if you don't participate, I can I reference this as an old rumor circulating Tortuga or something? Sounds just like the things supersticious pirates talk about.

Sheo Darren wrote:You guys mind if I handle the setting, both historical and territorial?
No problemo! I failed History back in the day.

Sheo Darren wrote:If you're using Port Royal as the base of operations for Claes (as inspired by Pirates of the Carribean) the story must be set several decades before 1642.
Truth be told, I didn't really give a damn about the actual time and date the 'historical adventure' was to take place, however this indepth thing really sets the mood.

Sheo Darren wrote:The French? Will be our targets.
Of course. With Ninjas, Pirates and Blackpowder Vengence after their asses, I almost pity them.

Sheo Darren wrote:Also looking up Japan at this time.
Oh yeah, forgot about the Japs. Historically, what were they doing around the time this was happening?

Sheo Darren wrote:Six shooters came about in 1900s. Derringers appeared in the 1840s. We're stuck with muzzle-loading flintlocks as the most advanced side arm in the world.

I'd suggest the Chu-Ko-Nuh, the Chinese repeating light crossbow. Yep, that's right, an automatic crossbow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeating_crossbow
As much as I'd like Biccie to use a repeating crossbow, I think I'll be cooler if she carried fifty flintlocks on her person as her weapons of choice. I mean, the English need something to counter the Ninjas (with Ninja skills), Samurai (with Movie-type Katana that can cut through tank armor) and Pirate (wit and tounge sharper than any sword).

I'll be looking forward to your full report Sheo!

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 2:30

Truth be told, I didn't really give a damn about the actual time and
date the 'historical adventure' was to take place, however this indepth
thing really sets the mood.

Well, you indeed don't have to follow history too thoroughly. I mean, take the Pirates series of movies. The British East India Company never appeared in the Caribbean, so far as I know, because, they're the East India Company, and the Caribbean's the West Indies.

But, if you want to set the story in the midst of the greatest surge of piracy in the region, I suggest before 1680s (before piracy was officially outlawed at Port Royal; more on that in my report, which I'll e-mail to you). The rest? Can be fiddled with, more or less.

Also, I made a mistake with the earthquake that smashed Port Royal. It happened in 1694.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Japs. Historically, what were they doing around the time this was happening?

They've closed Japan to everyone but Chinese, Koreans and Dutch traders.

I'll be looking forward to your full report Sheo!

Roger that.

Currently working on the following reports:

1) the geography and culture of important locations

2) most common ship types in the region during the time

3) notes on characters

4) Rolito Miranda - A "plot character" to allow more hi-tech stuff than the era historically allows for Smile

Sheo Darren

Male

Original Characters: Rolito Miranda, Giuseppe Miranda, Elena Miranda, Jessica Miranda

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 4:43

Thanks a bunch Sheo.

I wonder, in what capacity are you offering Miranda up for the story? Is he going to try peddling semi sutomatic pistols in an age that hasn't moved past flintlocks *laughs*?

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 5:14

*laughs*

Well, I won't go as far as suddenly introducing machine guns and air planes into the equation.

But there are versions of this era's tech that will see marked improvements only in the next fifty or one hundred years, or have superior counterparts.

For example, the Mughal Empire's muskets are made of wootz steel, the same hard steel that composes excellent Damascus blades. That makes the barrels of Mughal muskets very strong. Other muskets will explode if you put too much gunpowder in them; Mughal musket barrels are close to indestructible. You can even fire rocks using them! A logical development of this technology would be thinner barrels for muskets, which would be lighter than standard barrels but just as strong.

Or, say, the ubiquitous Greek fire, which was lost when the Byzantine Empire was overrun. Imagine the damage it can do to this era's shipping.

Examples of these technologies could appear. Rolito, the "Lord of War" that he is, would be selling them to the highest bidder. So Elsa can have her arsenal of compact pistols and maybe a light hand cannon to boot.

Rolito could also act as an intermediary for some people. For example, Emilio/Meir, Henrietta, Rico and Angie logically speak only Japanese, maybe some Chinese.

Since Rolito came from the Philippines (which historically at this point boasts a large number of Chinese and a growing Japanese population), he'd have knowledge of the Japanese language (I am retaining his Japanese set of skills, since Christian samurai were amongst the exiles in the Philippines).

He can further provide transport and translators for those without transport and translators. For a fee, of course.

Rolito would not intervene in the primary adventure, unless he is paid to do so (ex: Angie's treasure happens to be particularly useful). Otherwise, he'll just be there, like Nachtsider's Childville ghost crew, albeit more interactive and helpful than the latter.

I've just sent you the first three reports I've mentioned. I hope they prove useful and enlightening.

Sheo Darren

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 5:19

I'm actually for Rolito peddling some big-aft steampunk superweapons. Make him like Mechanicles, only with clockwork Arm Slaves packing lotsa heat.

After much agonizing, I've reluctantly decided that I won't be participating in this project due to all the work I've got on my paws - at least, not directly. The Phantom Pirates are free for any participant to use, provided they credit me and send all chapters featuring my characters to me for proofreading prior to publishing. Hey - I extend the same courtesy to others, too.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.

Nachtsider

Male

Comments: The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 8:39

I'm actually for Rolito peddling some big-aft steampunk superweapons.
Make him like Mechanicles, only with clockwork Arm Slaves packing lotsa
heat.

Steampunk Guymelefs with Last Exile-style pneumatic cannons?

Nacht! Stop giving me ideas I can use for overpowering other people!

Smile)

I'm actually aiming for a more limited and realistic tech base for Rolito if we ever get around to adding him, something that fits the era.

For one, he'd get a galleon that's much stronger and faster than it looks as his mobile base. I paint the galleon either an aggressive red (like custom Codarl) or a sinister black (like Rolito's personal Codarl). I'm also debating if I should call it Codarl, Venom or Nautilus. ^_^

But... considering we have giant sea monsters, undead pirates and a samurai girl who can cut ships in half...

*starts researching necessary tech*

Still, it depends on how necessary Rolito is to the story. So, Sasahara-san?

Sheo Darren

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 8:50

Perhaps something along the lines of 'Nautilus'. Then we can give him shades of Captain Nemo, too.

Sasahara's gloriously wild ideas are rubbing off onto me. Hanging around him is beneficial.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 9:29

Perhaps something along the lines of 'Nautilus'. Then we can give him shades of Captain Nemo, too.

Well, Nautilus will have a separate captain (Rolito's smart enough to let real captains do captain jobs) who may or may not be Nemo (sadly, he'd get overshadowed if that was the case).

But the first mate's name will definitely be Ishmael. I love Moby Dick and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Take me to a quarter mile a port of that seagoing abomination and all.

But my favorite line from a classical novel is still Robinson Crusoe's "Then let fly, Friday, in the name of God!" Followed by several pages of glorious ass-kicking, gunpowder age style. ^_^

Sasahara's gloriously wild ideas are rubbing off onto me. Hanging around him is beneficial.

Aye, he's like a breath of fresh air streaming through a fetid swamp.

Damn. I'm paraphrasing Terry Brooks. I'm on a roll. Smile)

Sheo Darren

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 19:50

Hey Sheo, I got your mai-

Sheo Darren wrote:Aye, he's like a breath of fresh air streaming through a fetid swamp.

Guh?

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 22:23

Hanging around him is beneficial

:catdance:

http://on.fb.me/9tuZOK Facebook Page for Cyborg Central : Gunslinger Girl Forum cheers

emperor

Male

Forum Posts: 1626

Fan of: Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters: Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments: Be creative,baby!!

Your character
OC genger:

http://www.gunslinger-girl.up-with.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Tue 10 Jun 2008 - 23:36

Guh?

I meant that as a compliment. A compliment.

I am also not implying that the forum is a fetid swamp. It's a metaphor. A metaphor.

:catdance:

!!! Ceiling Cat, is that you???

Sheo Darren

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Wed 11 Jun 2008 - 17:04

Sheo Darren wrote:
Guh?

I meant that as a compliment. A compliment.

I am also not implying that the forum is a fetid swamp. It's a metaphor. A metaphor.
Know it was, Just being an ass and yanking your chain Wink.

Anyway, give me a moment to read all your reports. I'll get back to you guys once I'm done.

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 2 Sep 2008 - 12:23

This is still going, right? Or is it...dumped...?

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 2 Sep 2008 - 12:28

I have some crew for the ship Hillshires in charge of,if you have ever heard the rumoured captain pugwash crew names you know who i mean !

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts: 2074

Fan of: Triela,asuka

Original Characters: not yet

Comments: Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date: 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 2 Sep 2008 - 17:12

Panzer IV wrote:This is still going, right? Or is it...dumped...?
Ne*er say ne*er.

Captain Pugwash would be hilarious, but he's a bit too much of a softy.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Wed 3 Sep 2008 - 5:38

Okay, I admit to being too strict on the time line thing. Let's just throw that out the window and go wild.

Here's a quick draft of my characters.

Rolito Miranda

Mestizo (half-Spanish, half-native) from the distant Spanish colony of the Philippines. Officially, he is a respected and rich merchant owning haciendas and businesses throughout the region, including non-Spanish territories. Unofficially, he is an arms dealer belonging to the secret guild Amalgam. His dual positions give him connections to practically everybody in the region, even local cannibal primitives. The affable Rolito is very knowledgeable regarding any topic, and will gladly help out foreigners and needy– for a price.

Giuseppe Miranda
Rolito’s adopted son. Seppe to his friends, he is a kind young man with a heart of gold. He underwent alchemical surgery to enhance his physical prowess and serves Amalgam in exchange for saving his stepsister’s life. Giuseppe is a very skilled fighter with kukri and knives. He acts as Rolito’s bodyguard and worries a lot about his rather flamboyant sensei.

Elena Miranda
Giuseppe’s stepsister and Rolito’s adopted daughter. She is a somewhat bossy but still sweet child who adores her Papa. She was grievously injured in a fire, but was given a new body by Amalgam. She usually stays at Rolito’s hacienda in Cuba.

Corregidor
Rolito’s personal frigate. He owns many ships, but this is his favorite. It is painted a garrulously recognizable crimson. It is probably the fastest, most powerful ship in the Caribbean, hiding many magical capabilities in its already rakish hull. Considering its owner’s reputation, no one in the know willingly attacks it. Irishwoman Canon Memphis serves as its captain.

Codarl
A giant mechanical humanoid called an "Arm Slave", it is named after a mythological demon. Piloted by Rolito or Giuseppe. Among other marvels that Rolito calls "technology", the Codarl can use extending arrays of mirrors and glass lenses to bend light around it, rendering itself invisible to the human eye. Rolito occasionally refers to it as the "Iron Man".

Sheo Darren

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum