War Stories Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

War Stories Discussion

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 5 Aug 2008 - 9:53

Just occured to me I haven't come up with anything fresh in a while becuase of the exams. Time to dip into ye olde idea archive again...

-=-

Life on the Battlefield

-=-

With all the discussions of a WWII fic and Nachtsider’s Battlezone, it suddenly occurred to me that we didn’t have a dedicated ‘GSGs on the Battlefield’ thread.

Generally, what I’m getting at here is that we need more fics that have the GSGs fighting in a large scale war, whether it be a fictional one (resurgence of Soviet Russia!) or an actual conflict (Africa… where to begin?) occurring right now. It’s no secret that Battlezone was some good shit, so lets have more of it.

Fifty cents says one of these ideas will have a ‘Love Can bloom’ plot in it.

---

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is that hot glasses wearing babe I wonder...
sasahara17

Male

Forum Posts : 1001

Fan of : GSGs? Claes-sama and Elsa-chan. Outside that? Bloodhound Jr. and Saber

Original Characters : Wilfred Sheppard, I-CARE agent.

Comments : A walking idea powerhouse.

Registration date : 2007-11-09

Back to top Go down

Re: War Stories Discussion

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 5 Aug 2008 - 9:54

(Sasahara17’s Sample Idea)

GSG WWIII

In an A.U., a powerful 21st Century Soviet Russia (!) decides to throw some napalm on the ‘cold war’. An unstoppable Red Tide flows into Democratic Europe (!), sparking a terrible non-nuclear (!) Third World War. Despite their best efforts, the E.U. suffers defeat after defeat in the face of superior numbers and strategy, and soon the Soviets have gone all the way to the east border of Democratic Germany (!).

The GSGs up to that point have been purely acting in a similar capacity they did in Battlezone; striking key targets in secret, rescuing downed pilots, generally doing small but important tasks that don’t draw much notice while doing their best to help the war effort. All that changes when both Italy AND Germany fall to the Soviets within days of each other. And then the fun really starts;

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Tue 5 Aug 2008 - 9:54

-=-

Scenario A

One of the GSGs was in Berlin when it fell. She WAS being evacuated by helicopter, but too late did they realise that the air now belonged to the Reds. It was shot down, but she survived… except her handler was injured by the crash.

Good news is, she chances across a refugee convoy guarded by a few green conscripts heading for the French border, and a doctor helps patch her (still feverish and helpless) handler up. Bad news is the Soviets are out to annihilate the convoy because the resident doctor is actually a MI-6 spy with key documents containing info that could potentially turn the war around.

Suddenly, the GSG finds the safety of the entire convoy thrust upon her. With limited ammunition, medication and food, and armed with nothing but her sidearm and a bunch of green conscripts, she must somehow lead the convoy to the French border while not getting blown to bits by Gunships, Tanks and Soviet troops.

-=-

Scenario B

When Italy fell, not all the SWA relocated to Paris. Some stubborn, determined or even crazy individuals decided to stay and fight. Waging a guerrilla war in occupied Rome their best efforts weren’t enough… all their field operatives (!) fell for a trap and were slaughtered. The survivors (including the handlers… can’t have them die so quickly can we?) were carted off to a POW camp. All hope was lost…

But wait! Not everyone fell to the ambush; in fact, a certain band of little girls managed to slip out of the trap unnoticed. Suddenly, ‘La Resistance’ has been reduced to a bunch of old stubborn scientists and little girls with big guns, still refusing to bow before their new Soviet oppressors. They have the will… they have the firepower (quite liberal amounts really)… they have the conditioning and spare parts (for now)!

Time to rescue their handlers and kick some soviet ass!

-=-

Scenario C

The surviving GSGs gather in Paris with the demoralised E.U. coalition. With the Soviet threat steadily advancing, the siege of Paris seems inevitable. With morale at an all time low, it would seem the great re-enactment of the fall of Paris in WWII seems inevitable. The handlers and the GSG decide to screw secrecy and take a more active role in the war. A much more active role.

First day in the ‘Siege of Paris’, a beleaguered E.U. bears witness to a bunch of adolescent girls blowing the hell out of the numerically superior Soviet vanguard in broad daylight (maybe one could even be on PMS…). Suddenly it dawns on the E.U., that yes the Soviets can be beaten! Riding out of the darkness like the fabled Valkryies of Norse legend, it’s time for the tide to turn…

Once, they were Italy’s best kept secret weapon, hiding in the shadows and sulking in the darkness. Now they are Europe’s last, best hope… for Victory (quote from B5).

-=-

It is said history picks its heroes, unwitting men and women thrust into difficult situations that could have overwhelmed lesser people, only to emerge victorious in the face of adversity.

Will these young girls be History’s next heroes?

-=-

(!) represents a plot hole I haven’t figured out how to work around.

I can’t even begin to describe the number of bugs and holes in this idea (as to why the U.S. hasn’t done anything yet), but you get the general gist of it.

Feel free to make you own ideas or discuss them here. I just put that one up to get this thread going. I don’t think it’ll work, but what the hell.

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 5 Aug 2008 - 10:09

Woah that is interesting!!

If its going, count me in!

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor on Tue 5 Aug 2008 - 22:58

I like the scenario B

http://on.fb.me/9tuZOK Facebook Page for Cyborg Central : Gunslinger Girl Forum cheers
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1637

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Registration date : 2007-09-09
Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 2:02

Now this something I would like to see.

I had a dream one night that came to me in the form of a picture.

The picture was based on a cover of an old Sgt. Rock comic that had the Sarge standing in the front doorway of a house blasting away at the Nazis soldiers out in the street.

Only it wasn't Frank Rock in the doorway but Henrietta wearing urban camo sporting Jose's old Carabinieri beret doing the blasting with her P-90.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 2:22

Here is a link to 'Battlezone' for those unfamiliar with the story.

Countless people have asked me why I don't do a sequel to this tale, considering the war in Iraq is still going on. The answer's pretty straightforward - in the wake of losing two cyborgs to combat, the Agency is now rather reluctant about sending its operatives to such a high-risk theater of operations. I won't rule out the possibility that I'll be sending the SWA kids back to the Middle East in future, though (with the Childville boys in a supporting role), or even write a prequel story set during the 2001-2002 Afghan campaign. But don't stay up late waiting for it.

Thanks for the compliments, Sasahara.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 9:16

-=-

Follow up to GSG WIII

Glad to see everyone liked the ideas. Still I do have a few more thoughts about them that out to be good discussion material.

-=-

Scenario B: ‘La Resistance!’

Suggested GSGs: Rico, Henrietta and/or Claes

Normally the counter-insurgents, the GSGs here ARE the insurgency! With only a few scientists and a supplies officer, the GSGs (being the only field operatives left after the ambush) have to figure out how to fighter the oppressors and rescue their captured personnel. Capture and interrogate enemies, rescue prisoners, capture and or assassinate enemy V.I.P.s… generally what they did before, except this time they have to do it themselves, with a whole bunch of enemies bearing down at them. And there’s other stuff too, like debating the morality of bombing populated areas to get at one man, or holding civilians ransom, or, god forbid, suicide bombing using the other rebels that have joined their cause…

-=-

Scenario C: Last, Best Hope

Suggested GSGs: Anyone not in A or B, Preferably Angie is in here.

General Idea here is to turn the GSGs into glorified war heroes. They still take orders and kill people, but likely before they now are thrust in the spotlight. They’re more or less celebrities in the E.U.’s armed forces, and the hopes of the entire war effort are placed on their shoulders. They’re given increasingly tough missions while having everyone looking at them like they’re the Master Chief. And also, there’s the endless boring press conferences, attempts on their lives from enemy assassins, meetings with important individuals, more attempts on their lives from enemy assassins, the adoring public, their parents suddenly appearing from the abyss to greet them… and did they mention the attempts on their lives from enemy assassins?

-=-

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 9:18

-=-

And now for the big juicy bit:

Scenario A: Long Road West

Suggested GSGs: Triela or Claes

The main theme of this scenario is ‘leadership’.

This scenario places a GSG in a position of responsibility. She is quite possibility the most experienced soldier in the entire refugee convoy, and their safety more or less depends on how she decides to run her show. With the enemy after them, the slightest error in judgement on her part will cost the lives of the innocents she has to protect. I’m loading the convoy with young children, pacifist doctors, injured people, pregnant women, cripples, old men and women incapable of fighting… you get the drift.

A hundred refugees, including her handler on a stretcher (who can at best, give sparodic advice), all depending on her for protection.

---

Leading the Squad

Her resources consist of five ‘green’ cadets who are fresh out of boot camp. She has to win their respect and trust (she’s barely older than their youngest member), and then mould them into a fighting force capable of protecting the convoy. Despite the fact she only has a few young schoolboys to work with, the GSG will have to learn how to be a leader, a mentor, a friend and most of all that pillar of hope for these five boys.

---

Playing the Diplomat

She also has to deal with the self appointed ‘leader’ of the convoy, this stubborn arrogant civilian asshole who thinks he can give her orders. Despite the fact she could shoot him and get on with it, she knows the convoy needs this ass, for only stability if nothing else (maybe he could be a doctor or something important too). She also has to play a mitigating role to some of the clashing personalities among her refuges, all the while fining compromising solutions that, if not permanent, will at least see them through to the French border.

---

Being a Tactician

As the most trained soldier in the lot, the GSG will be forced to play the strategist. At some point on their trek, conflict becomes inevitable. Perhaps they need to cross a bridge guarded by the enemy, or they chance across a lightly guarded supply convoy carrying much needed supplies. She’ll have to use her noggin to come up with winning strategies to come out on top. Tank Patrol on the warpath? Helicopter Gunship prowling for them? Search Parties getting closer? Time to put on that thinking cap.

---

Accepting Loss, Making Hard Decisions

And of course, people will die. No doubt the GSG will grow close to her squad mates or some children in her convoy. However, whether it be by a mistake on her part or just by forces outside her control, some of these people will get killed, perhaps even before her eyes. What happens if she has to order one of her friends to sacrifice themselves for the convoy? What happens when she is forced to ‘draft’ a child younger than her to replace a fallen squad mate? As a leader, you make mistakes and hard decisions. How will this GSG deal the burden that comes with being a leader?

---

She’ll also have to deal with logistics and other stuff, but the main things I wanted to discuss are here.

Eventually, she leads the refugees to safety and gets her feverish handler to the hospital. She also reunites with her sisters in Scenario C, who are all war heroes by now… except they can’t recognise her anymore. Gee, wonder why.

Naturally for the remainder of the war, she goes off to commander her own band of elite, non-cyborg troops (consisting of the surviving members of her ‘conscripts’) instead of fighting with the other GSGs, and becomes one of the most dangerous small unit tacticians in the E.U.’s arsenal.

-=-

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 9:48

cool! Very awesome!

I somehow want to imagine one of the girls taken a direct hit and the others were around her trying to save her...

...and then she dies. Just like the one in Saving Private Ryan--but instead calling 'momma', she'll be calling the handler's name!

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor on Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 9:55

Many actors in one story like this remind me of Band of Brother.

http://on.fb.me/9tuZOK Facebook Page for Cyborg Central : Gunslinger Girl Forum cheers
emperor

Male

Forum Posts : 1637

Fan of : Henrietta,Black Lagoon,Jormungund

Original Characters : Rosetta,Devil baby

Comments : Be creative,baby!!

Your character
OC genger:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 6 Aug 2008 - 10:06

Band of Brother.

THAT. IS. THE. BEST. WAR. SERIES. EVAH!!!!!!!

I LOVE THAT SERIES!! I've been watching it over and over and over and over again from back to end and I still can't get enough of it! Saving Private Ryan is awesome, but this is also AWESOME!!

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Fri 8 Aug 2008 - 4:39

Soooo... who did you have in mind for the tragic death?

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface on Fri 8 Aug 2008 - 5:54

Panzer IV wrote:
Band of Brother.

THAT. IS. THE. BEST. WAR. SERIES. EVAH!!!!!!!
Agreed. Do you know where to get episode 9? The one I have is chopped off at the end =/

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Forum Posts : 879

Fan of : Henrietta, Rico, Triela, Aurora

Original Characters : Muffin

Comments : Why can't I leave this blank?

Registration date : 2007-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Sun 10 Aug 2008 - 16:13

Many thoughts. First of all I generally like war stories, and this one is no different. A lot of potential, a few rough spots that need beating down.

First how to re-energize Russia. Well the dictator thing is an important start. Putin, or some knock off basically continues the trend of reversing the flow of democracy. Think of him as Napoleon, or Bismark reborn. He's not so much about crush the peasants under his heel, as he is about making his country strong again. Russia finds some more oil, which along with economic reforms builds up the nations wealth. The new leader launches some small wars to retake nations that broke away. This new Russian Federation is putting on some serious muscle, and learning how to use it. This of course raises international tensions.

Starting world WWIII is tricky, but not impossible. There has to be a reason for it. Whether it's just pure greed, an accident, or some resource. Greed is greed, Russia invades the equivalent of Poland to set things off. If it's an accident maybe during the invasion of notpolandastan some small units get confused over where the border is exactly, and thus attack one another. That, or maybe those oil fields aren't quite as big as first thought, and now to keep the economy from floundering Russia really needs those resources in the middle east. Of course to take those, they'll have to deal with the EU, and Nato first.

Now to keep things from going nuclear isn't easy. France is a nuclear super power, and I'm pretty sure their tired of being mocked as cheese eating surrender monkeys. They would burn Paris, and the rest of Europe with it before they allowed the capital to fall again. you've basically got two options. The first is to have Russia cripple their opponents nuclear capabilities. Surgical attacks with conventional, or nuclear weapons would do. The other is to invent a missile shield. It's still raises the question as to why tactical nukes aren't being used. Actually I suppose you could have it so that as Russia was getting stronger one of the things it did was to disarm the world of nukes. I mean even Henry Kissinger is for it, so it can't be that impossible. Of course you could alway have it be that no one has been willing to press the button just yet, and keeping things from spiraling into nuclear war is one of the story elements.

One thing to keep in mind for A, and B is WWIII shouldn't be a very long war. Modern war is about mobility, and speed. I mean in the modern battlefield a single bomb can knock out something like a third of an armored battaltion. With that kind of lethality, who is going to have the troops to fight a major war for a couple of months, let alone a couple years? I suppose I could be wrong, I am no expert after all. Still...

Anyway a short war would also help keep uncle sam out of the game. It takes time to move people an equipment around. An M-1 Abrams tank requires an entire C-17 to itself. That's a lot of plane. While boats that could move a lot of these at once are slow, and relatively vulnerable.

You know what, I'm stealing thinking a lot about Red Strom Rising. It's a Tom Clancy book about a non-nuclear third world war. It raises some of these ideas, and all in all is a pretty fun read. Shows it age a bit, though.

I like C a lot personal. It puts the girl in a situation she's not ready to handle. Thoughts on that idea specifically. If it where a red cross convoy, I'm not sure about the legality of hiding a spy in it. Medical personnel receive a lot of special treatment on the Geneva conventions. Your not suppose to shoot at them, or even take them hostage. In return they aren't suppose to shoot at you though, or be used for false pretenses. So with that in mind I would like to make a suggestion. Maybe there are two camps in the convoy. Those who want to use it as a means of sneaking military forces, and intelligence out. The other camp would be those who want to abide by international law, and stay safe. The Gunslinger in question would have to deal with the fact that she is putting innocent people in harms way to help her. I think it would be a nice tip of the hat to gunslingers have a quandary of questionable moral issues.

Okay that's about as much out of my brain as I can do in one sitting...

Strive for your next breath.  Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one.  Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Aug 2008 - 6:14

Soooo... who did you have in mind for the tragic death?

Oh, I have some alright!

Triela would be nice, that's one. She's like holding her guts from spilling, calling Hillshire and Rachelle over and over and over again before finally saying 'I-I see light! M-mother...mother! I-I'm coming home...!" where she then dies...

Petra would preferably be the same, but getting her to be crushed by a tank feels better.

...Maybe Claes would be nice too, although a dramatic death for her would be more suitable. Ever watch 'My Boy Jack'? Yeah, something like that. She dropped her precious glasses on the ground under intense MG fire. After managing to find it, she wears it and kneels only to receive two shots from the MG which--at first--didn't knock her down before eventually she got hit by another.

Then the MG bunker was destroyed by an airstrike, the girls came rushing and tried to prevent her from dying. She'll say something like... "We did great today guys...we did great! W-we're awesome as a team! We....we..."

she pause,

"P-papa...papa..." and then she dies. The girls start to cry

Aaaalso, Rico would be nice (after a harrowing sniper duel where she's shot smack-bang in the chest despite killing the enemy sniper)

She'd lie in the ground, the girl (possibly Henrietta) comes to her trying to save her. She hold her hand and Rico would use the line... "I...I think I'm happy...I...I...did...good...."

then some blood coughing before she cries...

"I...I don't want to die...I-I-I'm afraid! H-Henrietta (or someone else)! P-please! D-don't let go! Please! Don't! I-I can't...Its dark...I....Henrietta...where...where...I...I'm sorry..."

Aaaaand considering recent event, we could have it around Georgia and South Ossetia :p

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Wed 13 Aug 2008 - 11:07

honestly, I think if WWIII were to start, it would most likely be due to a botched job in Iran or Pakistan... anything that would unify the Middle East against the Western world... and it wouldn't be pretty. That'd be one hell of a backdrop to set our girls down in.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Aug 2008 - 11:19

That'd be one hell of a backdrop to set our girls down in.

Oooh...one of them died due to booby traps..?

Back to top Go down

Post by Whatface on Wed 13 Aug 2008 - 22:26

Petra's booby trap

Whatface
Macromedia Maestro

Male

Forum Posts : 879

Fan of : Henrietta, Rico, Triela, Aurora

Original Characters : Muffin

Comments : Why can't I leave this blank?

Registration date : 2007-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Wed 13 Aug 2008 - 22:49

or Ferro's. Those things could smother someone to death!]

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 13 Aug 2008 - 23:55

Here's one.

What if a botched mission by the girls was what started WW3?

The girls are givin a mission to take out a "local" mob meeting only it wastn't a mob meeting but a secret meeting between two waring nations (brokered by the Catholic Curch without the knowledge of the government) that was useing Italy as nutral ground.

The parties were useing plane ordinary cars to get to the site unfortunately they were useing the same model & make of cars that the girls were to attack.

The mission goes bad & the accusations start to fly soon the nations turn there war machine lose on Italy.

Another thing I would like to know is can the girls survive on a 21st century battlefield what with directed energy weapons rangeing from the prototype heat ray to that flying airborne laser cannon that is the test phase, then if you really want to go into the realm of scifi, kinetic kill vehicles or as my friend calls them "The Rods from God"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 14 Aug 2008 - 0:01

LoC978 wrote:honestly, I think if WWIII were to start, it would most likely be due to a botched job in Iran or Pakistan... anything that would unify the Middle East against the Western world... and it wouldn't be pretty. That'd be one hell of a backdrop to set our girls down in.
*whistles nonchalantly*

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Aug 2008 - 0:02

LoC978 wrote:or Ferro's. Those things could smother someone to death!]

I wouldn't mind dieing in those traps.

Is that picture in the next volume as some long overdue fan service or is it a piece of fan art?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Thu 14 Aug 2008 - 0:08

It's fanmade.

Nachtsider

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 14 Aug 2008 - 0:17

Nachtsider wrote:It's fanmade.

Bummer

Back to top Go down

Post by sasahara17 on Thu 21 Aug 2008 - 5:34

I'm in favor of an enemy that, while crealy the antagonists, are people that the girls, and by extension the readership, can sympatise with. Hence why the 'accidental war' thing is so appealing to me. I wonder what the GSG(s) who caused the war to erupt would be thinking as she sees the consequences of her actions? Would she be apatheic to it? Would she blame another? The possibilities...

I'm a bit worried about the whole Good Guys vs. United Middle East part. It is a tad to cliche and controvertial to my tastes.

Paladin wrote:Another thing I would like to know is can the girls survive on a 21st century battlefield what with directed energy weapons rangeing from the prototype heat ray to that flying airborne laser cannon that is the test phase, then if you really want to go into the realm of scifi, kinetic kill vehicles or as my friend calls them "The Rods from God"?
Actually, that's a pretty good point...

What about a plot involving the girls taking on incredebly powerful super weapons that the conventional military have failed to take down? They're supersoldiers that Italy has building using taxpayers money, so I'm sure the enemy have their own super death rey thing that they've been putting together on their own.

sasahara17

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum