C-RAM counter-rocket artillery mortar

View previous topic View next topic Go down

C-RAM counter-rocket artillery mortar

Post by Awinnell on Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 13:12

basically a 20mm phalanx bolted to a flatbed truck with a control cab and a generator,its being used in Iraq to shoot down incoming enemy missiles and mortars
video
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=27b_1218838922

technical details

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/cram.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Forum Posts : 2131

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: C-RAM counter-rocket artillery mortar

Post by Wileama on Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 13:52

You know I'm a tiny bit surprised their using that. I mean, everything that goes up, must come down. That thing has got to fire a couple hundred, if not thousand rounds that don't hit the target. Where in gods green earth do they think all those rounds are going to come down?

Strive for your next breath.  Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one.  Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Forum Posts : 1053

Fan of : Triela

Original Characters : Marcello

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 14:22

they are set to explode in the air,i guess the shrapnels not considered a big enough problem

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 14:23

There'll be collateral damage of some kind. Trust me.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 14:31

guess its a matter of balancing the damage of the enemy missile against the damage of the shrapnel as to which is the bigger risk,i mean look at London during the second world war,they fired off millions of AAA rounds into the sky and most of them couldn't even reach the attacking planes alttitude !

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LoC978 on Mon 18 Aug 2008 - 17:06

all depends where they deploy it, too. if the shrapnel from the rounds lands on a sand dune, no harm no foul. also, if the shrapnel becomes no bigger than sand in the detonation, it would slow down to terminal velocity for its mass and surface area before coming down, so again, no harm no foul.

...that is a big 'if' up there, though.

Moderatio est figmentum.
LoC978
Beach Bum Revolutionary

Male

Forum Posts : 2628

Fan of : At home- Claes. Abroad- Rico.

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 2:43

I thought CIWS were supposed to be mounted on ships...

now trucks? Imagine how many kills you can rake against masses of infantry...humm...EPIC DESTRUCTION!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 3:09

Come on, Panzer. Against armored cars and choppers I can understand, but using that thing against infantry would be a waste of materiel and money.

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 10:29

Hey, I can imagine some group of Al Qaeda or Mujahedeens or whatever the Marines were facing out there in the desert charging at the thing (ambush) in an attempt to take it.

Well, God knows what happens next...MUAHAHAHAHA!!! Somehow I feel it'll be awesome to see that thing rip men to shreds in seconds as they charge with AKs drawn high, screaming gibberish, running like mad, dressed in some robe and firing randomly.

Oooh boy I want to see their face when they see their friends next to them literally explode in seconds...

Aaaah...nothing beats overkill in a hot environment :p
That thing would work even better against airborne infantry jumping from planes. Once that thing starts firing, only chunks of meat falls from the sky or only the parachute (literally proven in Battlefield 2 against MEC Charlie Squad in Gulf of Oman map :p)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 11:13

@Nachtsider wrote:Come on, Panzer. Against armored cars and choppers I can understand, but using that thing against infantry would be a waste of materiel and money.
No, Wrong! For the grunt there is no positive return in being frugal in war. [Unless cut off from more ammo...]

Panzer IV wrote:Hey, I can imagine some group of Al Qaeda or Mujahedeens or whatever the Marines were facing out there in the desert charging at the thing (ambush) in an attempt to take it.
Oh yeah, that would be awesome to watch. The marines are all hunkered down, cause the reaper spotted the group about half an hour ago. The Tactical Control is on the radio doing his thing, as the reaper drops it's payload on the lead element. The marines operating the CIW hauls it up to the front line, only to realize the targeting software wont target people. Their disapointment disappears as the two A-10's roll in putting bullets down range.

Oh wait, where you imagining it a different way? Razz

Strive for your next breath.  Believe that with it you can do more than with the last one.  Use your breath to power your capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Comments : Everybody's favorite crew chief. Without him, the flyboys are powerless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 11:16

The marines operating the CIW hauls it up to the front line, only to realize the targeting software wont target people

Aawwh...that sucks. It doesn't target manually? Damn...I wish they'd put system to target people too in the ground-variant. A little overkill wouldn't hurt :p

And those tracer shots and the sound of it! WOW!

Although seeing them get butchered by A-10s running their gun would be very awesome. The Marines would go up and say: Dude, where's our part? They took our jobs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sheo Darren on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 11:38

Panzer, the system you are thinking of is the US Army's M163 Vulcan Air Defense System (VADS), an M113 APC fitted with the M61 20mm Vulcan cannon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M163).

Nacht, Loc, the C-RAM's bullets explode after reaching a certain distance so that they don't fall on people's heads. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_CIWS)

Also, someone's read John Ringo's When The Devil Dances. A SPAAG system that does not track the targets it's supposed to track? lol Sergeant York system lol
Sheo Darren

Male

Forum Posts : 389

Fan of : Mami Tomoe

Original Characters : Rolito, Giuseppe, Elena; Julia, Peppina; Jess, Masakari

Registration date : 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 11:48

No, no Sheo-sen. Hey, I know lots of stuff about weaponry and all it sometimes freak some of the club members out... :p

That one fires standard round MG tracer. Tch, only tear men apart--although still devastating, but not quite.

Oh wait, they do fire explosives...

The CIWS, now...WOW! Once that thing starts firing on infantry, now you see them charging at you--now you don't. Overkill never hurts :p

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Tue 19 Aug 2008 - 12:15

Panzer IV wrote:
The marines operating the CIW hauls it up to the front line, only to realize the targeting software wont target people

Aawwh...that sucks. It doesn't target manually? Damn...I wish they'd put system to target people too in the ground-variant. A little overkill wouldn't hurt :p

!

if you look at the picture the gun is the later block 1b it has a thermal/electro optical sighting system for use against small boats and surface targets when mounted on a ship,so in theory theres no reason it can't be used against massed (and it would have to be really massed !!) infantry !

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wileama on Sat 23 Aug 2008 - 15:57

Panzer IV wrote:Aawwh...that sucks. It doesn't target manually?
I honestly have no clue. I wouldn't be surprised one way, or the other. I just enjoy mocking the situation as much as possible.

Marathon
Wileama
Sith Lord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Variance on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 0:15

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I actually work on this system, so I feel a need to contribute. The rounds fired by the LPWS do indeed fragment in mid-air; they have been tested many times and the fragments are harmless. And this is a bit random, but one thing I've always gotten a kick out of: the camera systems are set up to be controlled with a XBox 360 controller.
Variance

Male

Forum Posts : 18

Registration date : 2009-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by MikhailN on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 0:18

No thread actually dies. We can always revive them just like the little girls.

MikhailN

Male

Forum Posts : 583

Registration date : 2009-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rshackleford on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 0:28

rshackleford

Male

Forum Posts : 85

Fan of : Leon the Professional

Registration date : 2008-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 1:40

Don't the CIWS systems have some kind of manual control feature? It would be pretty fun to play around with something like that. Although making the necessary software modications for the CIWS to target and engage people would have questionable usefulness, it is quite possible. South Korea has been experimenting with robotic anti-personnel sentries for a while now. Imagine a row of these suckers along the DMZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wua9GHK-14M&feature=PlayList&p=CC43BA68BC9DC49A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=25

Back to top Go down

Post by Variance on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 1:45

I imagine they do, but I can't say for sure. The LPWS system itself is furnished by the government; we are only responsible for making sure it interfaces correctly with our systems.
Variance

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maverick375 on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 6:36

Given their rate of fire, I can't see how you would get more than five seconds of fire from it in an infantry defense roll. You really do need that semi to haul it's ammo and batteries.

Glocks are not the shit. Glocks can fail the same as any other gun. I've seen it personally, and have even heard first-hand accounts of something as basic as a slide-retaining pin snapping, the slide flying off. Get over the obsession and buy what fits your hand, your wallet, and ability.
maverick375

Male

Forum Posts : 823

Fan of : manga

Original Characters : Jamie

Comments : GUNS!!!! MUWAHAHA

Oh, and swords. Swords are kewl too.

Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 15:45

What do you guys thinks about the SWORDS? They remind me of the RC tanks I used to play with when I was little... except with an M249 or 40 mm GL, a myriad of cameras and a $230K price tag. This thing definitely has the OMGWTF factor -- if you weren't told it was RC, you may easily think it has a mind of its own.

Back to top Go down

Post by rusty-spring on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 16:01

@Variance wrote:the camera systems are set up to be controlled with a XBox 360 controller.
Taking advantage of the fact that many young men entering service have probably played a few video games in their day = good planning. Despite the fact that I'm a bit of a Sony fanboy Razz

"Do you know what Jesus said in John chapter 5? Don't bring me any trouble, bitch." - Eda, Black Lagoon
"Anybody can be cool...but awesome takes practice." - Lorraine Peterson
rusty-spring
The AWESOME Baron

Male

Forum Posts : 1380

Fan of : being awesome

Original Characters : L is for Laine

Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Variance on Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 16:22

@rusty-spring wrote:
@Variance wrote:the camera systems are set up to be controlled with a XBox 360 controller.
Taking advantage of the fact that many young men entering service have probably played a few video games in their day = good planning. Despite the fact that I'm a bit of a Sony fanboy Razz
Yep, and the controller itself just has good overall ergonomics. It also has the added benefit of being an inexpensive COTS piece of equipment (it's a heck of a lot cheaper than FLIR's joysticks, that's for sure). Offhand, I believe the ARSS currently being developed by the Army also uses it.
Variance

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum