Bookstore

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bookstore

Post by Alfisti on Fri 25 May 2012 - 4:47

@Awinnell wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:Man, I was so excited for about ten seconds.

Sadly it's only a translation of the Honor books, not a manga.

Also, one of these days all the cover artists are going to sit down with David Weber, pull out the RMN manual of dress and actually learn what the damn uniform looks like.

Speaking of which, after a bit of a hiatus, I've picked up the series again from "Storm from the Shadows"... it's not doing much for my sleep quotient.

I cannot understand why these books have not yet been turned into a Movie/TV series yet !
I actually think I do. Aside from being quite a heavy/political series, the space combat would be quite difficult to do in a visual medium. Since it (almost) all happens beyond visual range, all you'd see would be a spaceship, hanging seemingly motionless in space with its wedge red-shifting the stars above and below it, with the occasional little flash as a bunch of laser-heads went off twenty kilo-clicks away. It's not impossible to make work, Starship Operators did a respectable job of it, but even they were engaging at vastly shorter ranges than the Honor ships do... especially since the advent of MDMs and Apollo.

It's also, lest face it: pretty nerdy combat. I'm positive David Weber spends most of his time crouched over a calculator rather than over a word processor keyboard Razz

I love the series as much as the next space-geek, it has it's flaws, but the rest is so good I don't care... however I'm not sure how well it would translate to a visual medium, particularly where Mr. Weber can't let out the long, explanatory monologues Razz

Alfisti

Forum Posts : 5730

Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Fri 25 May 2012 - 10:14

Kind of reminds me of the combat in the comic Albedo and the Banner/Crest of the Stars anime. The ranges were so long (using drones) that combat was all pre-calculated by computers based on probabilities of where the capital ships would be when they popped out of warp. So the actual combat scenes in both were rare and far between because there was not much to see. Smile

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Forum Posts : 10887

Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 25 May 2012 - 10:37

@Kiskaloo wrote:Kind of reminds me of the combat in the comic Albedo and the Banner/Crest of the Stars anime. The ranges were so long (using drones) that combat was all pre-calculated by computers based on probabilities of where the capital ships would be when they popped out of warp. So the actual combat scenes in both were rare and far between because there was not much to see. Smile
Don't know Albedo, but from memory Banner/Crest when in warp the ships generated a sort of "normal space" field around themselves. Missiles didn't carry the generators to create those fields so were destroyed when they reached their limits and I think sensors were more limited outside as well?

The Honor ships can engage each other in hyper, though it puts limitations on them, particularly if they happen to be travelling under Warhawski sail in a grav-wave. In normal space however, by the Second Havenite War, the limiting factor on missile range has pretty much become the light-speed communications lag across the control uplinks between the missiles and the ship which fired them. Anti-ship missiles do have limited onboard guidance, but work much better when able to be co-ordinated and stream targeting data from their mothership's much more powerful sensors and EW suite. So while they can theoretically shoot something 65 million clicks out, you'd be doing well to actually hit anything. Well...

Spoiler:
...untill Apollo came along at least.

I'll be quiet now before I geek everywhere.

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Sat 26 May 2012 - 17:49

@Alfisti wrote:
@Awinnell wrote:
@Alfisti wrote:Man, I was so excited for about ten seconds.

Sadly it's only a translation of the Honor books, not a manga.

Also, one of these days all the cover artists are going to sit down with David Weber, pull out the RMN manual of dress and actually learn what the damn uniform looks like.

Speaking of which, after a bit of a hiatus, I've picked up the series again from "Storm from the Shadows"... it's not doing much for my sleep quotient.

I cannot understand why these books have not yet been turned into a Movie/TV series yet !
I actually think I do. Aside from being quite a heavy/political series, the space combat would be quite difficult to do in a visual medium. Since it (almost) all happens beyond visual range, all you'd see would be a spaceship, hanging seemingly motionless in space with its wedge red-shifting the stars above and below it, with the occasional little flash as a bunch of laser-heads went off twenty kilo-clicks away.

Ahem.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977815/

Also, Alfisti, did you get a chance to look into that group that I pointed you towards, on that score?

Officer_Charon

Forum Posts : 1470

Registration date : 2010-09-16
Your character
OC genger: 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Sat 26 May 2012 - 18:20

Not yet but soon,lol ,making the Cat realistic will be a challenge,as far as the battles go, most naval battles are over the horizon stuff and we've seen loads of those movies !

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Forum Posts : 2131

Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Sat 26 May 2012 - 18:28

Nimitz will be CGI'd, possibly with the occasional puppetry going on, although I don't see him being too much of an issue. It looks as though Mr. Weber's going to be consulting with the crew on this A LOT, which is why he green-lit it - they are promising to treat the property with respect, and consult HEAVILY with him. Weber's big concern for a long time has been finding an appropriate actress to play Honor - how many 6'2" Eurasian actresses can you name? *grins*

As for the battles, they're obviously going to have to alter the perspective to make them watchable for the audience - although at least we're not going to have to sit through a maths lesson to get to the nitty-gritty!

I wonder how well it will continue on, though... Basilisk Station was the most tactical of the books (from a single ship perspective, I mean) - with Honor's increasing rank, and subsequent greater focus on strategy in lieu of tactics, the pace slows down more and more... great for story-telling, not so great for reaching the larger audience.

I just hope their return on investment is enough to keep the project going.

Officer_Charon

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Sat 26 May 2012 - 18:40

@Officer_Charon wrote:Nimitz will be CGI'd, possibly with the occasional puppetry going on, although I don't see him being too much of an issue. It looks as though Mr. Weber's going to be consulting with the crew on this A LOT, which is why he green-lit it - they are promising to treat the property with respect, and consult HEAVILY with him. Weber's big concern for a long time has been finding an appropriate actress to play Honor - how many 6'2" Eurasian actresses can you name? *grins*

As for the battles, they're obviously going to have to alter the perspective to make them watchable for the audience - although at least we're not going to have to sit through a maths lesson to get to the nitty-gritty!

I wonder how well it will continue on, though... Basilisk Station was the most tactical of the books (from a single ship perspective, I mean) - with Honor's increasing rank, and subsequent greater focus on strategy in lieu of tactics, the pace slows down more and more... great for story-telling, not so great for reaching the larger audience.

I just hope their return on investment is enough to keep the project going.

If it doesn't, it may end up being another SyFy low budget series,what am i saying ! SyFy doesn't do scifi these days !

also looking forward to the Enders game movie coming out next year

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 26 May 2012 - 22:09

@Officer_Charon wrote:Ahem.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1977815/

Also, Alfisti, did you get a chance to look into that group that I pointed you towards, on that score?
Excellent...

Did take a squiz at the group, finding a chapter local to me look like it may be difficult though.

Basalisk Station was probably the closest thing to the series' "Hornblower... IN SPACE" tag and yes, probably the most marketable. The other option would possibly be to go with the Saganami Island books, but there's a lot of history needed to get up to speed with those.

Alfisti

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Sat 26 May 2012 - 22:19

There's no chapter near me, either, but I asked around on the Facebook group, and got accepted onto a crew out of North Carolina... so it's not outside the realm of possibility that you could get on with a group not necessarily "close" to you.

Officer_Charon

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 3:48

Oyster Bay... Pearl Harbour... well played Mr. Weber, now I feel slow.

On that note though, I have to say that the last chapter or so Mission of Honor takes a prize for delivering a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming, Badass and Awesome all in one go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.
Alfisti

Male

Fan of : Triela, Hilshire, Priscilla, Ferro

Original Characters : Jethro + Monty

Comments : If in doubt, overdress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 18:39

... Still am not that current... am re-reading the entire series now, so I should be caught up in time for me to purchase "A Rising Thunder" when I get some spare dosh

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Fan of : Triela, Claes

Original Characters : John Darme.

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 19:06

well now that i remember it.... i've already read:
-
-US Fast Battleships 1938-91: The Iowa Class
-Some manga
-my text book
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Forum Posts : 1169

Fan of : no one

Original Characters : sooo many

Comments : "Should i shoot you, or stab you?"

Registration date : 2012-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 20:32

KuroNeko wrote:well now that i remember it.... i've already read:
-
Holy shit, you read Osprey Military books, too? Gimme five - I have a whole library of them. High Five

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider
KNIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 21:35

I read 'em too.... I just don't OWN any. *laughs* The manager/owner of my FLGS is a good guy who doesn't mind me taking up space looking 'em over.

"The two loudest sounds you will ever hear from your weapon are the *bang* when it's supposed to go *click* and the *click* when it's supposed to go *bang*." -Unknown

"220 horses, I got a gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas. Don't you love it?!" - Ofc. Maurice "Bosco" Boscarelli, Third Watch
Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 21:37

@Nachtsider wrote:
KuroNeko wrote:well now that i remember it.... i've already read:
-
Holy shit, you read Osprey Military books, too? Gimme five - I have a whole library of them.

yes...colorful illustration of battleship iowa(i'm planning to make FF based on this ship...)
i just love battleship iowa and her sister...
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika on Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 21:58

also, i've been reading this lately
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 0:29

@Officer_Charon wrote:... Still am not that current... am re-reading the entire series now, so I should be caught up in time for me to purchase "A Rising Thunder" when I get some spare dosh
"Rising Thunder" is the next one I need to track down... only when I'll have enough time to read it all in one hit though.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 0:55

That's the problem with long-running series, isn't it? The longer they go, the more time you have to spend on a book, but if you don't conquer it in one fell swoop, you can get lost in the "who's doing what, now?"

Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 1:03

Tell me about it... though in this case it's more an instance of knowing that once I start, stopping before the end is going to be very difficult.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 2:07

Again, I gotcha!

You, at least, don't have to lavish attention on a wife and daughter. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em to death, but they do a serious number on my reading schedule.

Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 19:26

When I saw the cover artwork for this book, I immediately thought of Marisa:

America has enemies--ruthless people that the police, the FBI, even the military can't stop. That's when the U.S. government calls on Will Robie, a stone cold hitman who never questions orders and always nails his target.
But Will Robie may have just made the first--and last--mistake of his career . . .

The book itself is quite good. Not formulaic at all, which kept it interesting.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Mon 11 Mar 2013 - 15:57; edited 2 times in total

What? I like donuts! - Betty Suarez
If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Scissors of victory! - Yui Hirasawa
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Fan of : Angelica's Smile

Original Characters : Kara Michelle

Comments : The community's international man of mystery.

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Direttore on Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 19:46

@Kiskaloo wrote:When I saw the cover artwork for this book, I immediately thought of Marisa:

The book itself is quite good. Not formulaic at all, which kept it interesting.

My instinctual response was "GSG Novelzation?!!"

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

- President John F. Kennedy
Il Direttore

Male

Forum Posts : 1003

Fan of : Henrietta, Triela

Original Characters : Lieutenant James Spettro/Caterina

Comments : In yon strait path a thousand may well be stopped by three. Now who will stand on either hand, and keep the bridge with me?’ -Horatius

Registration date : 2012-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MP5 on Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 0:57

Re-read this book today, realized I have a lot to learn:

Wouldn't be surprised if this somehow made it into required reading for the cyborgs...

I aim to misbehave.

MP5

Male

Forum Posts : 1767

Fan of : Sandro/Petra Fratello *dodges bullets*; Michael and Jamie Christiansen

Original Characters : Allison-Brian McDonnell Fratello

Comments : You gotta ask the cutie before you touch dat booty.

Registration date : 2010-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 7:49

Just for a change of pace, currently reading The Piano Shop on the Left Bank... Nice, slow, quiet slice of life book, frankly it's making me want to move to Paris.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Fri 31 Aug 2012 - 2:12

I had to read Candelo by Georgia Blain for English this year...

It made me want to gouge my eyes out! The way it jumps back and forth and nothing really gets reslved... ARGH! Just thinking about it angers me.

Audacter calumniare, semper aliquid haeret
slander boldly, something always sticks
Three Dog

Male

Forum Posts : 1243

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Original Characters : Yes, and there are a lot (around 25-ish I think)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Registration date : 2012-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 4 Sep 2012 - 19:48

It's the original Star Trek television series crossed with the film Stranger Than Fiction.

It's also brilliant.

If I die before my time, go on Oprah and tell the world 'I liked kittens'. - Veronica Mars
Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 18:50

Just finished J.K. Rowling's latest - The Casual Vacancy...

When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…. Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen.

Harry Potter it sure as hell ain't...

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 6 May 2015 - 12:32; edited 2 times in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 19:02

I finished reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

It didn't end how I expected it to. I might see about getting a hold of the rest of the Enderverse series.

Three Dog

Male

Fan of : everyone but the man of many names: Jose/Guiseppe/Josef (And the comic space opera Scholck Mercenary)

Comments : 42: Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of the reverse entropy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Fri 4 Jan 2013 - 0:15

Presently lying open and facedown on my bathroom floors:

Mila 18, Leon Uris

Winds of War, Herman Wouk

Under the Dome, Stephen King
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1814

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 22:26

Just finished the debut novel by Erin Morgenstern.

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

One of the best books I have read this century.

Last edited by Kiskaloo on Wed 6 May 2015 - 12:31; edited 2 times in total

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 23:02

The last Wheel of Time came out on Jan 8th and my bro is nearly finished the copy he bought (I assume so anyway, he's been at home for a couple of days and he nromally won't even eat or sleep with a good book). So with luck I can get my hands on it soon.

Unfortunately, I'm still on book ten, (about two thirds to three quarters through), but I'm getting there. On another note, I think this series has been one of my biggest influences in my writng. Moreso than Eddings, Nylund, and Clancy.

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfisti on Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 6:03

Finished A Rising Thunder, seeing as it's now out in paperback and I refuse to read sci-fi in hard-cover (because that's just wrong).

Yes, Baen still can't do a decent book cover, yes they're still getting the uniform wrong, and yes that still looks nothing like a Manticoran pinnace... however the book itself was a pretty damn good read: sometimes it's nice just to switch back to Space Opera for a bit.

While I think the last book in the series probably still manages the prize for wrapping the most "Moments of..." into one sequence, this is the book where the major Astro-political shift which has been building for the last few books comes to a head... and I'm liking it.

Alfisti

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurosaka "Ery" Erika on Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 6:44

just finished reading this-

now...what should i read next.....
Kurosaka "Ery" Erika

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 11 Mar 2013 - 15:54

Myfanwy Thomas awakes in a London park surrounded by dead bodies. With her memory gone, her only hope of survival is to trust the instructions left in her pocket by her former self. She quickly learns that she is a Rook, a high-level operative in a secret agency that protects the world from supernatural threats. But there is a mole inside the organization and this person wants her dead.

An original twist on a time-worn plot device - amnesia.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtsider on Mon 11 Mar 2013 - 18:31

Kuroneko wrote:just finished reading this-

now...what should i read next.....
Holy shit, Kuro - you read Osprey books, too? I have a whole collection of them. cheers

There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel like it.
Nachtsider

Male

Forum Posts : 5718

Fan of : Gunslinger Girl, Transformers: Animated

Original Characters : Liesel/Altheus, Meir/Kathryn, Aharon/Nadia, Cosette/Janus

Comments : The Living Legend. Master of Darkness. Trailblazer par excellence. Fear him.

Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 1:35

It has taken a little under three years, but I have done it. 14 volumes, 11,582 pages, 658 chapters, and 3,933,980 words later, I have finished Robert Jordan's 'The Wheel of Time', and God damn is it a good story! A little slow around the eighth volume, and the editor (spell checker) got a bit slack in the twelfth book. I had worries about the last book, as there was quite some build up, but it did not disappoint and all lose ends were tied (I think). I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre.

Now, time to read those seven other books I'd found and bought while reading The Wheel of Time... study

(My signature is from the Wheel of Time by the way)

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer_Charon on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 1:59

......... Oh, damn your eyes, sir. I need to find my first book.

Alternately, time to invest in the Kindle editions

Officer_Charon

Male

Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Awinnell on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 11:58

@Three Dog wrote:It has taken a little under three years, but I have done it. 14 volumes, 11,582 pages, 658 chapters, and 3,933,980 words later, I have finished Robert Jordan's 'The Wheel of Time', and God damn is it a good story! A little slow around the eighth volume, and the editor (spell checker) got a bit slack in the twelfth book. I had worries about the last book, as there was quite some build up, but it did not disappoint and all lose ends were tied (I think). I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the fantasy genre.

Now, time to read those seven other books I'd found and bought while reading The Wheel of Time... study

(My signature is from the Wheel of Time by the way)

of course Robert Jordan didn't write the last one !

We are living in the smelly cloud of gods fart,one day the universe will end in a great cloud of airfreshener
Awinnell
Stiff Upper Lip

Male

Fan of : Triela,asuka

Original Characters : not yet

Comments : Loves to quote Wikipedia. Loves to use exclamation marks even more.

wish i knew who put that in there, it wasn't me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Fri 2 Aug 2013 - 19:24

@Awinnell wrote:of course Robert Jordan didn't write the last one !

He did actually write the epilogue for the last one. I think it's the second to last, Towers of Midnight, that was completely written by the other guy, but Jordan's author's notes were pretty comprehensive so unless you pay a lot of attention to the writing style, it's not really a noticeable change.

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Three Dog on Wed 7 Aug 2013 - 8:10

I finally got around to reading Jam by Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw, the basic premise of which is an apocalypse... of jam. Man eating jam. Not zombies, or tornadoes, or dinosaurs, or aliens... jam. I didn't expect a lot from it aside from the satire, but the story also turned out to be quite good (or at least I thought so), so check it out if you get the time.

I am also making a Jampocalypse plan to go with my zombie plan now.

Three Dog

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Tue 3 Dec 2013 - 22:39

The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism

If you know someone with autism, you owe it to them and yourself to read this.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskaloo on Mon 6 Jan 2014 - 17:02

This is my first Neil Gaiman novel, my only previous experience with his writing being via his movie or television scripts. 

Have to say, I loved every page.

Kiskaloo
A Cat of Many Talents

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Mon 2 Feb 2015 - 12:56

Books....man I love books...where to start...

I'ma just make a big list, 'kay?

Inheritance Series (Plz let there be people out there who like it too)
Ranger's Apprentice Series
Leviathan Wakes and its sequels (need to find the other books)
Lord of The Rings
Catch-22
The Lost Fleet
Boy at War series

and more I will post later...

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 907

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by PolosElite23 on Wed 6 May 2015 - 11:08

My friends, I need a bit of help. 

I need a book for my Novels class to read, but I am struggling with ideas. I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions.

Now I have to finish said book by Friday jext week. I read fast, do we'll say 500-600 page limit. Depending on the book I may go more.

I like scifi and fantasy. Moralistic books, works about human conditions...romance...etc etc.

I read a lot of books. I want my last book I read for class to be a great one, so I turn to you my friends! (Because sadly my teacher said no to GSG....)

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
----
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.

-Stanzas 2+4 of Invictus by William Earnest Henley
PolosElite23

Male

Forum Posts : 907

Fan of : Triela, Hillshire, and Angelica

Original Characters : Various

Comments : Call me PolosElite23...If that's too long for you try one of the following:
Pez PE23
PE Polo
Polos

Registration date : 2013-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Thescarredman on Wed 6 May 2015 - 14:26

"Citizen of the Galaxy," by RAH. An oldie but a goodie, about the relationship between freedom (and power) and responsibility.
Thescarredman

Male

Forum Posts : 1814

Fan of : Rico, Bice

Original Characters : Kristal & Verotrois / Doc; Angel / Jack Keaton; Tiffany/Stefan

Comments : .
Mario Bossi would make a better handler than Marco Toni. Come to think of it, so would Christiano.
Elizaveta didn't jump - she was pushed.
Sofia was pregnant. It would have been a boy.

Registration date : 2012-02-04
Your character

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum